Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Goat Hunting Film

Mountain Goat Hunting Film

Well guys it's that time of year again, if you have any interest in watching me get my ass kicked trying to kill a mountain goat today is your lucky day! In my opinion, a winter mountain goat hunt is among the most challenging hunts in North America. This is my second attempt and while I have yet to kill a mountain goat I don't make hunting films to highlight the kill, I make hunting films to tell adventure stories. If there is one thing for certain, this was an adventure.

https://youtu.be/dLCIcWw6_2k

As always I appreciate the support and any feedback positive or negative.

Cheers,

Jay

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain Goat Hunting Film

Always watch your stuff!

Great stuff. How do you get those overhead fish-eye shots in the opening scenes and throughout?

Atsa lotta sloggin' thru deep snow in thick bush to get to where the goats might hang out. I don't know if you're a skier but an alpine ski touring set up with skins can be an efficient way to cover terrain in the snow vs snowshoes, especially on the way back, you can ski down.... . Not familiar at all with the area you hunted but seems like predominately alpine plateau kind of terrain, not many cliffs.

I've never hunted goat but was fortunate to spot a group on a backcountry ski touring trip quite a few years ago. They had climbed on to a gnarly cliff, well above tree line. Fairly certain they were aware of our presence coming up from the valley as the trail they made to get to the cliff was evident lower down. I suspect with their relatively short legs they avoid deep snow & travel mostly on rocky, scree type of terrain which I didn't see much of in your video.

Photos follow. February 2012 in the southeast corner of the province, Purcell Mountains northwest of Kimberley. The peak they're on is adjacent to Mt. Lindsay, well above 2,000 meters. Look closely at lower left in photo & you should be able to make out their trail in the snow.

Zoomed in, a member of our party had a much better camera than I.

Panoramic view of the terrain. Cliff the goats were on at left. We climbed up & to the right.

Our gps track showing round trip from Boulder Hut to the col just below Mt. Lindsay summit. It was a long day.

Not sure there's a draw for that area since it's in or close to the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy. There's also a group that lives near Hwy 97 in the South Okanagan between Peachland & Summerland. Different climate/elevation vs the Purcells, but also sparsely treed with prominent cliff features.

Great video. You definitely put in the time and effort.
    Looking forward to Seeing Your next adventure.
    Thanks for sharing

A few additional photos from the ski trip, just because. Hope you don't mind a minor thread hijack.

It's much easier when you have a guide to break trail & you're in a group. Solo hunt in that kind of terrain is hazardous & I'd be inclined to at least have 1 trusted buddy along in case something goes wrong.

Our objective is in sight, the col between peaks.

Snow up here is wind affected so quite supportive vs the softer stuff down in the trees.

Cliff the goats were on out of the photo, not sure but I think to the left.

Spectacular country. View from the col, southwest if not mistaken.

Awesome video, thanks for sharing!

Great film as always! Your ability to absorb suck is extremely inspiring. You may not be successful in killing an animal every trip but the takeaways and lessons learned on your trips are absolute gold. You are truly a beast in the mountains. You will eventually run out of mountains to beat up that don’t contain the horned animals you are after and you will find what you’re after. Well done is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Always watch your stuff!
    Get to work!
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Thanks as alwasy for the great feedback guys. And that camera I was using for those shots is called an insta360 X3.