Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Spring Bear Hunt

2023 Spring Bear Hunt

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get my first bear this spring. Headed up Chehalis FSR the other day and walked up some decommissioned roads where I've seen bear before but didn't see much green or sign anywhere. Still too early I'm assuming? Anyone see anything in the Fraser Valley yet? Any tips or places I should check out the next few weeks? Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2023 Spring Bear Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden03 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get my first bear this spring. Headed up Chehalis FSR the other day and walked up some decommissioned roads where I've seen bear before but didn't see much green or sign anywhere. Still too early I'm assuming? Anyone see anything in the Fraser Valley yet? Any tips or places I should check out the next few weeks? Thanks in advance
    i am not much of a bear hunter but the usual advice for spring bears is get low and south facing where things are greened up...look for any sign and hunt the sign

They’re starting to come out now for sure. Just keep at it. The more you get out there, the better chance you’ll have.

Chehalis bears only go where they can't be hunted.
    They know that spring bear is open.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

You're doing the right thing looking for green. Seems like it was a late Spring, maybe a few weeks behind, but I'd wager there should be some green up in the valley bottoms and south facing exposures, 0-600M elevation should be good.

A friend of mine got a chunky 5'5" bear out of Region 3 a couple weeks back, so they're definitely up and around here in Region 2.

Haven't been out yet myself, but I'll probably go poke around a little bit this weekend. Nothing serious, just camping with a rifle and going for some walks in an area I found last year while scouting for BT spots and was curious if it holds spring bears. Guess I'll go check. All my local go-to spots are no longer accessible for a variety of reasons.

Good luck to you on the first bear. Please keep us posted
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-25-2023 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks for all the responses. Will definitely try to get out lots and find some new places. Ill keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    ............ Guess I'll go check. All my local go-to spots are no longer accessible for a variety of reasons..........
    Wondered how that was going for you.
    Did you get answers?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Any other places not too far away you recommend? Or just hike off the roads a ways?

Any other places not too far away you recommend? Or just hike off the roads a ways?
    They tend to like their privacy. Roads can be good as long as there isn't a truck or quad zipping by every 20 minutes. They can tolerate a little bit of traffic and just dash out of site when they hear an engine and come back out when it's gone. Preference is to be able to munch away on grass and dandelions without being disturbed at all. Lesser traveled roads, overgrown roads behind washouts and deactivations, old skidder trails and such can be productive, especially if there's an old hidden slash that has grown in grassy trucked down one of those little roads.

Good call being on foot. It's definitely the way to go here in R2. My protocol has always been the same, which is look for areas with a decent amount of grass, bonus if there's some dandelions, check to see if the grass is eaten (patches with squared off tips) and if so, game on. Then start branching looking for other places they feed within 2-3km, there will most likely be a few, then you'll have a little circuit to poke in and out of these spots off and on throughout the day (I find this method way more effective than sitting and waiting)

That's how I do it anyway here in R2, generally thicker here. Some people get up high and glass, do the whole spot and stalk deal. Whatever works. The main thing is to find grass that's being hit. When I am scouting for new areas if I don't see hit grass, I move along. I'm essentially hunting for hit grass before I start hunting for bears.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-26-2023 at 10:30 AM.

Yup hunt the sign before the prey.always.