Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need better bush access - need advice

Re: Need better bush access - need advice

with anything, no point maxxing out on all aspects, start small, upgrade as you go, the spotter, leupold and vortex make great entry level lines for around 700, the truck, dont go inti debt to get in the bush, i bought an older quad and older deck trailer, easy peasy, get a small stihl saw, and spend your money on good boots, i cheaped out at first and my feet hurt forever,

DWT, I have never found a good 4x4 pu to large for then bush. In the decades since I first joined the BCFS, I have spent a lot of time driving some scary roads and quad tracks in my Toyota 4x4s and now I can barely walk due to severe injuries in1960, I cannot do without my Taco 4x4.

I have found a great difference between my current Ram 3500 double cab, long box and the preceding '91 Jeep Cherokee . With the Jeep I could poke my nose in almost anywhere, turn around and get out. With the Dodge I have to plan an exit. There have been times when I have driven my quad down overgrown logging where I was glad for the bumper and hand guards. There are limits to how narrow even a Jeep could investigate .

With forestry and weather deactivating more roads, quads have a much great appeal. Not so much getting in , as forestry roads end at the watershed. I could walk that short distance in and out. And it is much easier and faster than getting stuck in the mud of a poor excuse for a road . But you still have to haul the game out.

In '74 I bought a new Dodge W200 Power Wagon, the last year of the true bush pigs, and have had a 4x4 since then. I think my wife's Wrangler is too fat, BTW.

The Rogue is what they gave me financing on. It's ok. I can tow my boat but I can't really get anywhere i would really like to go. I was lucky to get to a fsr spot climbing 800m and got a bear for my efforts but I had a horseshoe up my butt that day. Gambrel off the hitch and skinned / quartered the bear down into a drainage chute.

If I find a half ton, ideally chevy/gm and toss a 450-550 used quad in the back, that would be good. Maybe a utility trailer and camp setup next year. I get the taco appeal but I can't figure how to fit the cost in. I could go Jimmy/Blazer route and maybe find a cheap quad/trailer this year. Doesn't matter I guess right now. Just got a serious case of cabin fever and an itch to be better prepared this year.

I got a lot of good ideas here. I appreciate you all.
    Last edited by RainyLaker; 02-01-2023 at 09:07 AM.

Good reminder about the chainsaw. I usually borrow one. I'd like a stihl 251. Something mid range like that. 18" bar.
    Last edited by RainyLaker; 02-01-2023 at 09:07 AM.

2WD P/Us are as useless as t*** on the boar on anything outside of pavement. Even 4WD P/Us are only front wheel drive unless they are well loaded. Consider a utility trailer and something in the old Jeep Cherokee class, like a 4Runner, instead of a P/U. If you do a search on this site, there are some great posts on what to look for in used quads.

Consider a used cargo trailer. You can haul your quad and gear securely. They are dry and can be decent places to sleep in as well.

One thing if I could mention is a good tool box of wrench’s
    and a portable air compressor ( Viair makes a good one ) a good combo socket set in both metric / standard ... for this it’s best to wait when KMS tools has a sale ... you’d be surprised at the pricing for the Gearwrench brand that comes up from time to time.

Don’t feel like you need to invest thousands to have success in the bush. It can be done for cheap. You can add comfort and luxury’s as you go and figure out your own gear system. Just being out there is worth more then any gear you can buy.

It took me years to have my gear gathered. I like taking as much time off as I can vs buying gadgets. Usually 1 month plus every weekend of the season , helps to live where you like to hunt

If you're on a budget and a big dude then tow a tracker/samurai and use a $ 200.00 diesel heater and a wood stove to heat a good ice fishing tent. The diesel heater will keep you comfortable throughout the night so you don't have to keep getting up to stoke the fire. Your probably going to be road hunting a fair bit. I have the sxs ,quad samurai,enclosed trailer, a dually diesel truck and camper. I now keep it as simple as possible. Samurai and a tent .it's just so easy.
    Hunting the promised land