Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need better bush access - need advice

Need better bush access - need advice

Hey all.

I need to grow my equipment list and get better access into the bush. What you would do for this fall while thinking about setting up the seasons to come.

I have
    -$1000
    -2018 Nissan Rogue - already ripped the plastic skid plate off
    -bad credit
    -saving $1000 / month for hunting
    -270 Tikka t3x lite / 300wm Sauer 80 / 22 Chiappa single shot / Benelli 12ga
    -gimpy though interested middle aged wife, disinterested 10yr old and passionate 8yr old
    -47yr old 340lb out-of-shape man with a strong heart (starting mountain goat training)
    -pursuits (any big game - I've taken 3 bear and a 4pt mulie in past 2 years, recent unsuccessful bison hunt), backcountry multi-day ambitions, meat for the freezer, fowl, upland game, snow
    -serious shortage of similarly minded buddies
    -3 hunting weeks vacation per year (hunt every other weekend plus 1 long one)

Priority is better bush access (eg. deactivations).
    • Do I buy a 2000'ish taco / tracker / jeep / samurai (lift kit, winch, tires/wheels, short wheel base, chains) as a bush truck and put 3 month insurance on it or as needed during the season - $5000 in and $3000 for upgrades / repairs? Hope to get 4-5 seasons out of it. I can make my family go with me
    • Buy a quad & trailer and tow it with my Rogue - $8000? Upgrade next year or two to a full size truck? I can take my 8yr old or wife on separate trips
    • Trade in the Rogue at a loss on an 'as best as I can do' Taco / GM1500 / Tundra?

Other wishlist items
    Backcountry pack capable of hauling gear and meat (~$1000)
    Spotting scope (~$2500)
    Some kind of camp (wall tent, cots, stove, etc - $5000), travel trailer (~$7500)
    An ethical hunter, aspiring backcountry enthusiast and supporter of indigenous sovereignty.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need better bush access - need advice

Quad or side by side and smaller toy hauler.

If you’re on a budget. A reliable stock 4x4 with basic gear like shovel, v bar chains, rope, snatch block, axe, chainsaw and good pair of boots. Is all you need. Don’t get caught up spending more than you need too.

There’s many areas of bush that are all too often overlooked, most barely hunted.

There are more and more areas in bc that are being heavily deactivated.
    Some not even quadable.
    If you really want to buy a quad and access the normal deactivated FSR you certainly won’t be alone doing so.

best of luck

A Suzuki will do what a side x side will . Both have to get lifted. A quad for deactivated logging roads needs power steering .

I agree with the quad or side by side , your estimate for a wall tent is high . You should be able to buy a new one all in for under $3k . A bit more for 4 cots. $1k
    Only con with wall tent is taking it down or packing up when raining ... need a spot to hang it to dry it out . Get a 14 x 16 for 4 people.
    You can tow it on a small trailer with your existing vehicle
    Or go for a small toyhauler but I think that might be alot more $$

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

Two way radios will help keep you "safe" on the RR roads. All you need is a Baofeng, no need to spend more. Have a couple extras for your family too. Small truck radios can be had for about $100.00 + mag mount antenna--25watt and fit in the palm of your hand--can velcro mount the mount.

Hey thanks you all. I have a better idea now. I appreciate the tips on the Radios, utility trailer and the safety kit.
    An ethical hunter, aspiring backcountry enthusiast and supporter of indigenous sovereignty.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

The radio is only usefull on active logging roads and its jyst as easy to take it slow or follow a logging truck .If on a quad or sxs it's easy to pull over if you need to travel on an active road for a few kms and you meet a truck

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

Personally I would trade the Rogue in for a truck. I wouldn't spend that much on a spotter. Vortex Razor $600 will do. Tent and stove etc you can be under $2,000. I have a tepee which I bought for $600 and wood stove was $300. Works for me and my buddy just fine. Stihl chainsaw was $240. Add as you go.

A Rogue is a grocery getter, . That class are great for that. For a family you need a double cab pickup . I had a 12x14 wall tent and a tin airtight . A comfortable camp will have cots, stove , chairs and a couple of tables, one to eat off of and another to cook on. That filled a 4'x8' utility trailer or a full size p/u bed. I had a canopy . A canopy is tricky, as heavy hard things can break windows. A p/u in the bush is pretty useless, too fat and too long.