Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sourdough

Sourdough

I’ve been getting into some sourdough bread and venturing into some different recipes. There’s a couple of people in my house who get sick from storebought bread so we’ve been cranking this stuff out and freezing it regularly. It’s all good, but some stuff is better than others.

This is a good resource for foolproof bread.

https://littlespoonfarm.com/
    Last edited by Bustercluck; 01-23-2023 at 09:34 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sourdough

This is today’s creation.

A light rye with caraway seeds. The recipe called for 3 tablespoons, but I cut it back to 1 and I beat the dough for 5-6 minutes with a dough hook and performed two sets of stretches. And I used 140 grams of rye flour.

https://www.bostongirlbakes.com/sourdough-rye-bread/

Here’s another resource I haven’t used,but I’ll save here as it looks good.

https://breadtopia.com/

Hey Bustercluck . I will pass on to my better half . She wishes she had more time for these things
    Thanks !
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Hey Bustercluck . I will pass on to my better half . She wishes she had more time for these things
    Thanks !
    Most people over complicate things. I quite often just mix the dough and throw it a bowl to rise all day and then throw it in the oven after dinner. It doesn’t take much work time, just sitting time.

I like sourdough, but don't like the effort required to babysit the starter
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I shot from the hip today and modified the rye recipe from yesterday. Replaced the sugar with what I thought would be an equalish amount of molasses, used some fresh brewed coffee in place of some of the water and added a touch of cacao and allspice.

Sourdough has been the answer to bread sensitivities ? How does that work?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I like a good sourdough with just enough rye to give that distinctive falvor and smell.

WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I like sourdough, but don't like the effort required to babysit the starter
    My starter is sorely abused. It gets left in the fridge for months on end and revived if I want to make some bread - requiring some maintenance every four weeks hardly seems like babysitting to me. But hey, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’ve been getting into some sourdough bread and venturing into some different recipes. There’s a couple of people in my house who get sick from storebought bread so we’ve been cranking this stuff out and freezing it regularly. It’s all good, but some stuff is better than others.

This is a good resource for foolproof bread.

https://littlespoonfarm.com/
    Check out “Artisan Sourdough Made Simple” by Emilie Raffa. My wife and I frequently use this book for inspiration for new loaves - the cheddar and dill one is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Sourdough has been the answer to bread sensitivities ? How does that work?
    This isn’t the only spot I’ve seen mention of gluten sensitive people finding sourdough is fine. I can honestly say, my knees get inflamed and I feel bloated if I eat most store bought breads, but I’m fine if I was my home made loaves. Maybe it’s placebo or I just eat less of the homemade stuff, but I’ve noticed a difference.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."