Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sourdough

Re: Sourdough

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    When you made the bread, What did you use for a proofer. A very simple proofer can be made at home. I took a large box and lined it with plastic. I used a portable induction cook plate to keep heat down and boil water furiously. If you have ever been in a bakery. A proof box is like walking in a hot rainforest. Spend a few minutes in it and you'll be drenched. If you bake the bread in an oven give it a spray of water just before going in. It can make for a nice crust. I gotta say, I have only ever made bread at home once in my life but over the years, Must have made a few hundred thousands. Imagine how many loaves you can make with 225 pounds of yeast. 10 Ounces will make 55 one pound loaves.https://imgur.com/34hgX3b
    I’ve had my fireplace on pretty steady so it’s been pretty warm In The kitchen and I just cover the bowl with a wet towel. I’ve thought about buying a proofing box, but they’re pretty expensive, somewhere around $300. The proofing box would be the best option for consistency.

For humidity while cooking I have put a cast iron frying pan on the bottom rack of the oven and thrown a big cup full of ice in it just as I put the bread in. I think I need some more experience and consistency before I’ll really notice the difference in smaller adjustments. Right now I can make bread and it always comes out good, just some is better than others.

I do have a question though. What do you guys put in bread so it doesn’t mould or go stale?

Oh, another proofing option. I haven’t used this one, but read about in several places. Cover your dough and put it in the oven with the oven light on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I do have a question though. What do you guys put in bread so it doesn’t mould or go stale?
    We've been buying Stonemill sourdough rye bread, so had to look at its ingredients after reading your post here.
    Healthy looking list, and it has 'cultured dextrose' as an anti mold/bacteria additive

this post has given me some urge to make some up instead of buying at $3.00 a loaf
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 01-25-2023 at 10:48 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I’ve had my fireplace on pretty steady so it’s been pretty warm In The kitchen and I just cover the bowl with a wet towel. I’ve thought about buying a proofing box, but they’re pretty expensive, somewhere around $300. The proofing box would be the best option for consistency.

For humidity while cooking I have put a cast iron frying pan on the bottom rack of the oven and thrown a big cup full of ice in it just as I put the bread in. I think I need some more experience and consistency before I’ll really notice the difference in smaller adjustments. Right now I can make bread and it always comes out good, just some is better than others.

Ours doesn't last long enough to go stale or moldy, the wife bakes 2 loaves a week, 1 goes in the freezer and the other is eaten fresh then the second loaf comes out and is consumed, rinse and repeat. She also does a pizza crust each time so baking day is pizza night, win, win IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    We've been buying Stonemill sourdough rye bread, so had to look at its ingredients after reading your post here.
    Healthy looking list, and it has 'cultured dextrose' as an anti mold/bacteria additive

this post has given me some urge to make some up instead of buying at $3.00 a loaf
    That might be one of the better breads out there. If I go to the store today I’ll take a pic of a few of the ingredient lists and try and figure out what the stuff is they put into these things.

Today’s creation

Bread stays freshest at room temp in a sealed plastic bag. I use an electric knife to slice 1/4 inch off when it's a day or 2 old if I want a slice from it. Safeway in store baked bread really doesn't have preservatives except salt.

Well Bustercluck your thread has my better half in the baking bread mode ! Starter is on the go !
    She went to look at out stored whole wheat flour in what we thought was an air tight container but the flour seemed off . It had a hint if of a moldy smell so out it went ! She is now looking at prepper sites to find ways to successful long term storage
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 01-30-2023 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Well Bustercluck your thread has my better half in the baking bread mode ! Starter is on the go !
    She went to look at out stored whole wheat flour in our what we thought was an air tight container but the flour seemed off . It had a hint if of a moody smell so out it went ! She is now looking at prepper sites to find ways to successful long term storage
    Arctic Lake
    You can freeze flour. Before I retired I loaded up on buckets with lids. The lids have a rubber gasket. I use the buckets for storing sugar, flour etc. Makes freezing meat easy too, Just buy a package or 3 of chicken and plastic bag portions, Toss in bucket with label on it. Pull out as needed. Works best if chicken goes in bucket frozen first.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    She went to look at out stored whole wheat flour in our what we thought was an air tight container but the flour seemed off . It had a hint if of a moody smell so out it went ! She is now looking at prepper sites to find ways to successful long term storage
    Arctic Lake
    Just use it before it goes bad. Lol