Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sourdough

Re: Sourdough

My buddy swears by the electric knife, I am old school and use an old bread knife. The wife complains that I cut the bread crooked, so maybe I need to look into the electric knife.

Making a couple loaves this week with a mixture of whole wheat and white flours.

Got this recipe today to use with your starter discard

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/sourd...%20-%209943613

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

A friend of mine has something similar to this. His sides can fold out on a 45 degree angle for putting round loaves on.

Bamboo Bread Slicer for Homemade Bread,Adjustable Width Bread Slicing Guides. Sturdy Wooden Bread Cutting Board. Makes Cutting Bagels or Even Bread Slices Easy https://a.co/d/4i780bH

I’ll throw out my general tricks that have worked for me.

1- feed your starter the night before you want to bake and leave the starter out on the counter in a warm spot

2- mix wet ingredients. I try and use some warm water with no chlorine like cooled water from my kettle. I tend to put more starter in than the recipe calls for, I just kind of scoop a heaping half cup. Add dry stuff

3- mix with a dough hook in the mixer for 5-6 minutes. Sometimes I’ll add a touch of flour until the consistency “looks right”. The dough kind of forms a ball and doesn’t stick to the sides. Bagels and pretzels are a bit different because the dough is hard, but this works for bread.

4- cover with a damp towel in a small/medium bowl for 30 minutes. Do the 4 stretch and fold thing. Cover for 30 mins more and do another stretch and fold.

5- Let it sit half a day with a damp towel u til it rises lots.

6- turn it out on a lightly floured surface, stretch the dough tight and form your loaf. Wash and dry the bowl and put it back in for a couple more hours to rise.

7- flip the dough out onto a piece of parchment, put relief cuts in the surface and drop it into a Dutch oven. Cool with a lid for 20 mins at 400f and then remove the lid and keep cooking u til internal temp of 204f with a meat probe.
    Last edited by Bustercluck; 01-30-2023 at 08:22 PM.

Bustercluck,

Look up french guy sourdough bread on youtube. (A non-bakers guide to sourdough bread). It's an excellent foolproof method, with no stretch and folds. It works really well especially his technique to bake the loaf. This is the method I use and the crust is unreal. Putting the dough in the fridge overnight really improves the flavor and is the same method most pro bakers use. As a bonus it really frees up time and you can bake the loaf anytime. I have two pots, so generally I make 2 loafs at a time.

I use rogers flour (all purpose or their organic) and I find I can increase the amount of water a bit. I've used rogers bread flour but don't notice a difference in how fast the gluten develops. I think there's no difference, but I do see a difference with Robin Hood flour (I don't like it).

I'm interested in making higher hydration sourdough in the future. I want to learn how to make sourdough with a really open crumb.. A goal for this year I suppose.

I wait 5-6 days after a feeding, with it in the fridge, take it out and let it sit on the counter for 2-3 hours, then use. I like the "sour" flavour after it sits for those 5-6 days. I have also use it a day after a feeding, but the flavour is not as "sour" as the 5-6 days.

I have heard that taking a hot cast iron pan, add water and place it on the bottom rack when you are baking your bread for a great crust. Will try that tomorrow.

Some great links and examples to try! Thanks all!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Sourdough pizza. Light crispness to the bottom and nice and chewy in the centre

Better half said her starter did not work .Maybe it was not warm enough in our house ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Better half said her starter did not work .Maybe it was not warm enough in our house ?
    Arctic Lake
    city water?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lake
    Why didn’t it work? Did it go mouldy?

We’re having some rye and homemade Montreal smoked meat tonight