Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
When you made the bread, What did you use for a proofer. A very simple proofer can be made at home. I took a large box and lined it with plastic. I used a portable induction cook plate to keep heat down and boil water furiously. If you have ever been in a bakery. A proof box is like walking in a hot rainforest. Spend a few minutes in it and you'll be drenched. If you bake the bread in an oven give it a spray of water just before going in. It can make for a nice crust. I gotta say, I have only ever made bread at home once in my life but over the years, Must have made a few hundred thousands. Imagine how many loaves you can make with 225 pounds of yeast. 10 Ounces will make 55 one pound loaves.https://imgur.com/34hgX3b
I’ve had my fireplace on pretty steady so it’s been pretty warm In The kitchen and I just cover the bowl with a wet towel. I’ve thought about buying a proofing box, but they’re pretty expensive, somewhere around $300. The proofing box would be the best option for consistency.

For humidity while cooking I have put a cast iron frying pan on the bottom rack of the oven and thrown a big cup full of ice in it just as I put the bread in. I think I need some more experience and consistency before I’ll really notice the difference in smaller adjustments. Right now I can make bread and it always comes out good, just some is better than others.

I do have a question though. What do you guys put in bread so it doesn’t mould or go stale?