Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sourdough

Re: Sourdough

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Sourdough has been the answer to bread sensitivities ? How does that work?
    Basic Sourdough is only supposed to have a few ingredients(water, salt, flour and maybe sugar), vs store bought bread which has 20-30 different things in it. You have to wonder what you’re eating when it costs $2-3 per loaf and doesn’t mould or go stale.

Bread doesn’t seem to digest in my stomach very well. It seems to sit there for days. I can eat some sourdough and be fine, but if I gorge myself on it than it does the same thing as regular bread. I quit eating bread altogether for a few years until I ran into a Ukrainian guy from red Deere who grew his own wheat and milled it himself. I’ve tried all kinds of his baking and been completely fine. Not sure if it’s the commercial yeast, genetically modified wheat or all of the preservatives, but something in it doesn’t agree with me or my oldest.

and I just had a sandwich with that rye bread from the top with some corned beef, mustard and a pickle. You can’t buy anything that tastes that good in a store

This is my main sourdough source https://www.theperfectloaf.com/ His potato buns recipe is awesome. We've had our starter going for over 10 years and haven't eaten store bought bread or buns in all that time.

You should have a look at the sourdough starter they still have from the gold rush that is still alive, there was an article on cbc how they found it still alive. You can buy some and keep it going.One of my friends wives picked some up and it worked well.

Here's the one I use

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/

Lots of sites to visit and start to play with different ways of making sourdough. The wife is gluten sensitive and sourdough is her answer to enjoying bread with her homemade soup.

Try Sourdough Bagels, amazing!!!

Next week is Sourdough pizza crust and scones.

Just fed the starter today; once a week, 30g of flour and 30g of water, mix and let sit for 2 hours, then in the fridge until needed. I usually like a "sour" dough that is dense, so I usually make my bread after day 5-6 in the fridge.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

One of my favourites is to roll some pretzel dough out really thin and cut about a 1” strip. Take the strip and wrap it around a smokie.

or roll the pretzel dough out thin and stuff a hamburger patty in it with some mushrooms, onions, cheese, mustard and bacon. Just make sure it’s sealed up good so you do t get water inside during the boiling phase. That’s what we’re having tonight.

Here’s the pumpernickel from today. Texture is good, but I think I need to work on the flavour a bit. The kids say it needs some more molasses and I could probably do that if I added some more rye. It already over proofed a bit and I’m guessing it’s because I had too much sugars.

When you made the bread, What did you use for a proofer. A very simple proofer can be made at home. I took a large box and lined it with plastic. I used a portable induction cook plate to keep heat down and boil water furiously. If you have ever been in a bakery. A proof box is like walking in a hot rainforest. Spend a few minutes in it and you'll be drenched. If you bake the bread in an oven give it a spray of water just before going in. It can make for a nice crust. I gotta say, I have only ever made bread at home once in my life but over the years, Must have made a few hundred thousands. Imagine how many loaves you can make with 225 pounds of yeast. 10 Ounces will make 55 one pound loaves.https://imgur.com/34hgX3b

Quote Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
    This is my main sourdough source https://www.theperfectloaf.com/ His potato buns recipe is awesome. We've had our starter going for over 10 years and haven't eaten store bought bread or buns in all that time.
    Thanks for that link, I will be reading and making some from it.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    When you made the bread, What did you use for a proofer. A very simple proofer can be made at home. I took a large box and lined it with plastic. I used a portable induction cook plate to keep heat down and boil water furiously. If you have ever been in a bakery. A proof box is like walking in a hot rainforest. Spend a few minutes in it and you'll be drenched.
    My brand new Kitchenaid induction range with convection oven has a 'Proof' option. It also has a custom water tray accessory for the oven if you want or need moisture for baking. Big $$$$ but a worthwhile investment switching from an old gas range. I too had been using a portable induction cook plate to get a feel for the technology. The only baking I've done in the new oven is pizza haha. I remember my Mom putting the dough bowl on top of the fridge to capture the heat coming off the back.
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-25-2023 at 09:42 AM.