Those look great Mike as well as the loaves posted later ! My better half likes to bake sourdough as well but with her still working she finds that sometimes it’s to much to juggle . When retirement comes look out, LOL !
Arctic Lake
Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
My sourdough starter began life in February. Took a while to properly mature but it's a dandy now. The new oven with proof option has really helped with consistency as there's no variation vs when relying on room temperature or other makeshift proofing scenarios. I haven't purchased bread since February, bake about once a week. My 2 go to recipes are for a loaf of sourdough bread baked in cast iron pan & baguettes. The baguette recipe is not a sourdough recipe & uses normal yeast, but after a couple batches I started substituting sourdough starter for the yeast. Now when I make the baguettes I simply follow the sourdough bread recipe & double it.

The bread recipe is started the day before baking as the dough slow proofs in the fridge overnight after the initial stretch/fold/warm proofing. The baguette takes 2 days since the dough is made in 2 batches. The first dough is added to the ingredients of the final batch which also spends the night in the fridge.

Also make pizza crust & Belgian waffles with the sourdough starter. The waffles are great out of the freezer & popped in the toaster.

Baguettes . Nice size for 1 person, about 250g of dough for each. They freeze nicely as well. Half for breakfast, half for lunch. The crispy crust is courtesy the steam bake option of my oven.

Crumb could be little more open but either way the flavour is hard to beat.