Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator hunting Squamish Ashlu or Elaho?

Predator hunting Squamish Ashlu or Elaho?

Hello everyone this is my first post on the site. Been a long time fan of this site and have been reading past threads to gather information for myself as I’m a relative new hunter. I began hunting with a compound bow past two years and purchased my first rifle this Christmas.

With my my new rifle sighted in and ready to go I’m extremely excited for spring bear this year and since I live on the north shore , Squamish is really close and know they have a lot of black bears up there ( and grizzlies). I’ve read and understand MU2-6 is rough and tough but I want to learn the terrain.

So so long story short I have two questions. 1- Would you choose to focus on ashlu or Elaho if your goal was a spring bear and why?

2- for this time of year would you stay close to the river bottom or up higher for wolves and coyotes? I went up this weekend on the Squamish river fsr and made it to mile marker 19 before I chose to turn around because of the deep snow.
    Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Predator hunting Squamish Ashlu or Elaho?

Ashlu is obviously going to be easier access, earlier in the season due to snow. I wouldn't think bear concentrations would be any higher in the Elaho either, so not sure what you can gain by going further, from a purely pragmatic perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    Ashlu is obviously going to be easier access
    Ashlu is now closed before the first bridge.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by granola_eater View Post
    What for the IPP? that's too bad - closed to vehicles or another type of closure?

Quote Originally Posted by granola_eater View Post
    Thank you could you elaborate on this?

Huntingtyler-

Don't be afraid to go over the Duff and hit Region 3 for bears either. I know the Ashlu and whatnot are close, but there are a lot of bears on each side of the Fraser.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Huntingtyler-

Don't be afraid to go over the Duff and hit Region 3 for bears either. I know the Ashlu and whatnot are close, but there are a lot of bears on each side of the Fraser.
    thank you , just not sure where to start over there. I have family in lillooet also which could be good. I’ve been up to botanie valley a bunch because they have a little cabin up there. Is this area decent for bears? I guess I’ll have to check it out to know for sure.

I was was just thinking Squamish because I could make it into a day hunt instead of a weekend hunt if need be.

PM me. I'll give you some ideas for easy ones.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Thank you could you elaborate on this?
    The first bridge over the Ashlu was declared unsafe some time in the last 6-12 months, and a large gate was erected across the road about 250 meters before the bridge. It's closed to vehicle traffic, but you can still walk past it. You wouldn't be able to get a quad past the gate/barricade. I suspect that the amount of bush parties back along the road, the drowning death of a young man during one of those parties, and the amount of garbage partiers' left along the river contributed to the gate as much as any unsafe bridges.
    Last edited by granola_eater; 02-03-2019 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarity

Squamish bears still like meadows green grass patches or more clearings and down low by the river banks? Going out this Thursday and Friday for day hunts hoping to fill one more tag. Any help very much appreciated! Going into elaho