Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting Licks out for Deer in Winter

Putting Licks out for Deer in Winter

Anybody do this? Or wait until Spring?

I have some new BT spots that I would like to put cams up at and see how the Bucks in the area are, a few of these spots don't have snow right now and there's a good chance they won't for the rest of the year.

I would think that they would be all over a lick and the minerals therein during Winter months, and would find it as long as snow doesn't cover it.

Anybody do this? Results? Or do you just wait until Spring?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Putting Licks out for Deer in Winter

Wait till spring . What deer are you targeting ? Mule or Whitetail ?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Wait till spring . What deer are you targeting ? Mule or Whitetail ?
    Blacktails

I put mine out in that short window between snow and mosquitos, the deer are on it within 24 hours. You could put it out now on the coast, find a big stump and set it all on top, by spring the stump will be saturated and they will hit that.

XPEIER

What month do you guys generally put em out? Or just wait til all the snows gone?

Last year (first year) I put them out in May and had good action both for Elk and Blacktails, Elk never stopped hitting it (haven't been back to check cam since Oct), Blacktails pretty much completely abandoned when their velvet came off and 1 Buck just came back licking literally two days after the season closed, figures lol.

I do mine in April / May here in the Cariboo, I would go earlier if the roads let me get in. Once established the deer will be waiting for it in the spring, so the earlier the better and the does will stay on it till November at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    What month do you guys generally put em out? Or just wait til all the snows gone?

Last year (first year) I put them out in May and had good action both for Elk and Blacktails, Elk never stopped hitting it (haven't been back to check cam since Oct), Blacktails pretty much completely abandoned when their velvet came off and 1 Buck just came back licking literally two days after the season closed, figures lol.

Most of the time in is in the spring, but this year, I dumped it on the snow and will let it melt into the ground with the snow. I want to see if it will make any difference, not that I think it will.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Kinda ) depends if you are attracting locals or want to intercept and hold migrating deer
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Kinda ) depends if you are attracting locals or want to intercept and hold migrating deer
    These ones for now will be mostly for resident Blacktails

For the migrators I think i'll wait til spring/snows gone

Blacktails
    Sorry cant help you on Blacktails as I have never hunted them .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......