Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing resources

Re: Fishing resources

Consider joining the Vernon Fish & Game club if not already a member. They sponsor the occasional youth oriented fishing event. Light spinning gear with a small lure like Panther Martin or Mepps has been quite productive for me at a certain Alpine lake I like to frequent. I've been a bit of a die hard fly fisherman for much of my adult life. It's brought success, but having tried the aforementioned spinning lures in recent years I now more often than not leave the fly gear at home. Get each of your kids one of those small pushbutton casting set ups, easy to learn with.

Your kids still very young & I don't think they'll have much success fishing from shore at most of the local lakes. If you don't have a canoe or boat you should consider investing in one. Along with shops already mentioned by others, Canadian Tire has a large section with fishing gear. Unfortunately I think they're still closed as a result of the fire before Xmas. ++++ to Kencraft & Herbie's

OK & Kal Lakes have Kokanee fisheries although the openings for that fluctuate. I have never fished for Kokanee, I think you have to go deep with a trolling set up. There's also opportunity for Salmon in/around Enderby but like the Kokanee, seasonal & subject to closures due to poor runs. Brookies & Rainbows from my favourite lake.
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-19-2023 at 03:16 PM.

For the age your little guys are head down to Swan lake with nothing more than a little size 14 hook, worm and a bobber. Lots of little sun fish close to shore willing to entertain. Once the ice is out you can just try by the boat ramp off 97.

One tool I found handy was a line cutter on a lanyard, much easier to snip off the tangles and start over.

no matter where you go or what gear you use the most important thing is you’re taking your kids fishing.
    if more parents took their kids fishing there would be a lot less problems in this world
    Statement of honour bestowed upon me by Camp Cook:
    LOL that has to be one of the stup*dest mind numbing off in laa laa land comments I have ever read.
    Feb.13,2024

Back when books were THE resource, two must-owns were
    The Gilly by Alfred Davy and Kamloops, An Anglers Study of the Kamloops Trout by Tommy Brayshaw

trout orientated, fish biology and aquatic entomology guides

Follow Brian Chan, https://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/brian-chan/
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 01-20-2023 at 11:50 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

also aim to take in the free kids fishing day at Polson Park when they stock the pond with catchables and have gear for everyone to try their luck
    Usually late April

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon...ishing-weekend
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC