Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy to use GPS?

Easy to use GPS?

Hey

I'm looking for a GPS for my dad that is easy to use and forgiving to use, for the technology challenged type of older guy. I have no experience with GPS units. So I'm looking for a push in the right direction. Generally not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just basic and easy to use is what we're looking for. Price isn't an issue, just ease of use.

Thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Easy to use GPS?

What's the intended use, backcountry outdoors, driving or both? At the end of the day they all offer about the same interface & features. Some are small touch screens, others a little larger perhaps with some keys to navigate the menu. Garmin has been an industry leader for some time. I have an older Montana which replaced an Oregon. Both are rugged outdoors units. A good place to browse, get info & buy is GPS City. Newer models include InReach technology & are pretty expensive.

https://www.gpscity.ca/
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-15-2023 at 07:53 PM.

The simplest to use is the Bushnell Backtrack GPS. Not a conventional GPS if you are looking for maps and such. Turn it on and mark a location. No matter where you wander it will show you how far you are away from where you started (truck, camp, tree stand) etc and how to get back to it. Other features, digital compass. altitude location etc. I have the original version, I believe the new ones have even more. Great assurance, if you had a starting point, you are never really lost.

It would be used when hiking, something that tracks your route with a line. So if needed he can back track or aim back towards his previous route and get back to the truck. It would be nice if it was overlaid with a google earth style map as well to add some familiar recognizable aspect to it. I'll check out what you guys recommended. Cheers!

Yes would be good to know the intended use. Frosty, it may be difficult to find what you seek. Older guys and I'm putting myself in that group and tech generally don't work well together. But the makers of the devices are constantly trying to make more angels dance on the head of a pin. I have a Garmin in Reach 66i I think and while I have learned how to sort of use it, it still drives me nuts because I never feel fully comfortable with it. It's ok but there is a learning curve. I'll be watching to see what else is recommended. My family bought it for me as I like to hunt alone and spend time hiking and berry and mushroom picking. They liked the sos feature. I wasn't to keen and still pack my compass but it makes them feel better.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    It would be used when hiking, something that tracks your route with a line. So if needed he can back track or aim back towards his previous route and get back to the truck. It would be nice if it was overlaid with a google earth style map as well to add some familiar recognizable aspect to it. I'll check out what you guys recommended. Cheers!
    If he has a cell phone there are quite a few GPS apps available for both Android & Apple. For most you need cell coverage in the area you intend to explore but for the tech savvy you can also preload maps for the area you want to go without coverage. For hiking & back country a topo map is most useful as it provides elevation info & terrain features not found on a road navigation map. Might be an idea to load one of these on your Dad's phone & do some trial runs at home where you have cell coverage.

Here's one of the few photos I have available to post showing the Oregon mounted on my motorbike. At the time I had to order Topo Canada CD & load it on the SD card in the device. I was able to transfer that to the Montana when I got it. Most recreational GPS devices today will come pre loaded with topo maps. Basic functions like marking a start point & recording a track are pretty intuitive for most folks to figure out.

The blue triangle is current location, black line is the track I've ridden. The blue stick pin is the destination I set as the goal, which is the summit of the mountain. The purple line is track I tried to follow but the trail ended so I turned back. White track with arrow is the last part of the route to destination I wasn't able to follow. Might have made it on foot but not on the bike haha. It's a touch screen with the only tactile button being ON/OFF on the side of the unit. + - on the screen allow me to zoom the map in or out.
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-16-2023 at 01:06 PM.

I have a Garmin 66i. I both love and hate it. It's a rocket ship but I find the interface clunky and I wouldn't recommend for anyone remotely technically challenged.

If you dad is within cell range - the GAIA app is amazing. I wish Garmin was as intuitive as GAIA.

The new iPhone has better satellite connectivity. So it may be helpful for Gaia when you're out of cell range - I don't know.

If your Dad is hiking local trails and has a cell phone, you should consider the Alltrails app. Very easy to use, both the maps and shows your location. Pretty easy and not confusing

This would be used both in and out of cell service. Appreciate the replys, I will look into these options.

i have been really happy running my iphone on battery saver mode and saving the topo and satellite imagery on the ihunt app. I think it is just as easy as most gps, and i would never buy a dedicated gps again because the options with a smart phone are so good. The backroads mapbook app is good if you have cellular service, it just uses too much space to save to your device. You can also get an app called Avenza to download the ministry maps onto for reference to leh areas and closed areas.