Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy to use GPS?

Re: Easy to use GPS?

the ihunt app also has a feature you pay for that shows private land, crown land, lease vs license for grazing, etc. Obviously you have to use it with caution, but that with the regs for your position at a push of a button are pretty nice.

Thanks for that I’ll stay away from that one then !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I have a Garmin 66i. I both love and hate it. It's a rocket ship but I find the interface clunky and I wouldn't recommend for anyone remotely technically challenged.

If you dad is within cell range - the GAIA app is amazing. I wish Garmin was as intuitive as GAIA.

The new iPhone has better satellite connectivity. So it may be helpful for Gaia when you're out of cell range - I don't know.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I have a Garmin 66i. I both love and hate it. It's a rocket ship but I find the interface clunky and I wouldn't recommend for anyone remotely technically challenged.

If you dad is within cell range - the GAIA app is amazing. I wish Garmin was as intuitive as GAIA.

The new iPhone has better satellite connectivity. So it may be helpful for Gaia when you're out of cell range - I don't know.
    I really like Gia. About as easy as it gets. Most hand held GPS's don't have the screen size as most smart phones so viewing and interface is simple.

GIA does work on a smartphone without cell service. Before you use it out of cell range, download maps and overlays (like backroads maps,Canada topo etc. etc etc) and you are set. I now use it exclusively and when my phone is paired with my inreach mini, can 2 way commincate as well.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-16-2023 at 08:26 PM.

I use FATMAP, GAIA and iHunter. All are pretty good each has their own strengths and weaknesses. For 3D mapping, FATMAP can’t be beat. Hands down the best 3d sat maps out there. I have an old garmin e-trex that I keep in case but I always have my phone with me for pictures, zoleo interface so I never use the garmin.

Jereky can you save the FATMAP sat imagery to your mobile device?

Cell phone and Free GAIA RJ

Yes you can download areas onto the phone incase you are out of service. Larger area means larger memory space though.

With Fatmap, GAIA and Ihunter, those are downloadable apps I assume. Are most people using a free version or paying for the full meal deal of options?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I really like Gia. About as easy as it gets. Most hand held GPS's don't have the screen size as most smart phones so viewing and interface is simple.

GIA does work on a smartphone without cell service. Before you use it out of cell range, download maps and overlays (like backroads maps,Canada topo etc. etc etc) and you are set. I now use it exclusively and when my phone is paired with my inreach mini, can 2 way commincate as well.
    Do you have to pay for the GAIA overlays? like satelite maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Do you have to pay for the GAIA overlays? like satelite maps?
    don't quote me but I beleive you need a subscription. Easy way to find out if you have the free version of gia, give it a try

I have a membership and my favourite map layers are

Backroads mapbook canada,
    Canada Topo
    World Satellite
    BC WMU's
    BC LEH Zones
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-20-2023 at 06:58 PM.