Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbows

Crossbows

Hey guys,

I have a Center-Point sniper elite 370 crossbow, it's 22" wide and shoots 20" bolts.
    I'm considering upgrading to a better crossbow that's a lot narrower and has a much better trigger. I find that the Center Point is too heavy, too wide at 22", and the trigger pull is terrible. I didn't expect much from a $300 crossbow.
    My budget is around $800, I was looking into purchasing Barnett Hyper XP405 or Wickedridge M-370. These crossbows are 9.5" wide. I don't need a crossbow that shoots bolts at subsonic speeds as I heard if the bolts fly over 400FPS then that usually affect the accuracy.
    Any thoughts on on your favourite make and model of a particular crossbow with pros and cons including customer service, performance, and reliability in the field would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crossbows

You'll get lots of recommendations for Excalibur here. I know I did when I asked a few years ago and its what I bought. Check the Excalibur Micro series

I have a Excalibur matrix 380 and like it.
    Crossbows do feel kind if heavy or at least front heavy.
    Micros are nice but doesn’t sound like your price range.

There was a 380 for sale a couple weeks back on here - in your price range and what you’re looking for. If I was looking that would be perfect.

Thumbs up Re: Crossbows

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    You'll get lots of recommendations for Excalibur here. I know I did when I asked a few years ago and its what I bought. Check the Excalibur Micro series
    Have had three varying Excalibur Models.
    Each were good.
    The Matrix 380 I still have is excellent in my view.

Check them out!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Yup, you will get a lot of Excalibur comments including mine.
    I think it just comes down to one’s knowledge and keeping the crossbow in perfect condition.
    Sime just require that you fine tune them constantly.
    If you do that, know what you are doing, I don’t think it matters.
    There certainly are some pluses from compounds.

Thanks for the input guys !
    I understand that the recurve crossbows are a lot simpler and easier to maintain than the compound crossbows. I wanted to get another compound crossbow mostly because it is a lot narrower than the recurve. I'm just not sure if that is a good enough reason to get a compound instead of the recurve Excalibur. What are your thoughts on that ?

I am a fan of the simple design of a recurve vs compound. Restring in 2min.
    yes the compound is a narrower option and if that is what you want in your crossbow then discussion is really a mute point.
    pretty tough to go narrow on a budget without giving up quality.

in your price range the Excalibur will be a way better tool. The compounds in that price range will not be as well built.

As said above, the Excalibur micro is a nice compact unit. I just picked up one and it is a lot smaller with a big jump in power. Check gunpost, there are plenty for sale.

Arrow Re: Crossbows

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter121 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys !
    I wanted to get another compound crossbow mostly because it is a lot narrower than the recurve. I'm just not sure if that is a good enough reason to get a compound instead of the recurve Excalibur. What are your thoughts on that ?
    The latest recurves have really closed the distance between the two.
    As other have noted, at your price point the quality in a compound will not match the quality of a modern recurve.

What that translates to is a LOT more tuning and maintenance required.
    Which in turn demands both a bow press and considerable experience.
    Or a lot of down time in a shop.
    Either would royally suck during the hunting season IMO.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me