Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: lake trout

Re: lake trout

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Curious, I haven’t caught lake trout, or so long ago I can’t remember.
    How do they taste?
    Comparsble to Rainbows, better or worse?
    Rainbow taste varies widely, and peoples personal preferences do also. So I think you'll just have to try one and see how it goes. The lakers we kill every spring taste delicious, some people have called them poor mans lobster?

If you put a foot ball beside it that would be almost the same shape.
    I was wondering if smoked char would work cooked like smoked black cod poached in milk and butter.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

My lake trout tackle box laid out drying. I will never waste another lake trout to smoking.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I only fish for rainbows when the water is cold. I don't like the muddy taste they get in some local lakes in the summer.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Thanks for posting Tigrr... so for lake trout, you only jig the above lures ice fishing, you don't typically have success with any bait? Are you focusing your efforts in drop off zones, or just the deepest parts of lakes? Thanks in advance..

I have never used bait here because it is illegal in one lake. And never caught anything with it in the other. Anything from the lake cannot be used for bait in the lake. I value my fishing licence tremendously. We have a no set line rule here in 5. Set lines with bait up north.
    95% of the lake trout are caught on 2 lures.
    The pic reveal will come later today.
    Last edited by tigrr; 01-16-2023 at 10:17 AM.

I’m wanting to know about the taste as well , years ago we fished for Lake Trout in Canim Lake once the ice was off . We used Salmon plug lures . I did not like the taste of them but the other fellas did .
    Buddy of mine wants me to come fishing in Vanderhoof . I said what species he said Lake Trout , Ah no thanks but if you know a place to catch Rainbows I’m in !
    Maybe I need to start a thread on fishing in the Vanderhoof area .
    Any ideas on why the Lake Trout did not appeal to me ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    I have never used bait here because it is illegal in one lake. And never caught anything with it in the other. Anything from the lake cannot be used for bait in the lake. I value my fishing licence tremendously. We have a no set line rule here in 5. Set lines with bait up north.
    95% of the lake trout are caught on 2 lures.
    The pic reveal will come later today.
    Great I look forward to it...

These 2 lures account for 95% of my Lake trout.
    The other pic is an oh no when it dropped on its lid and 1000+ hooks got mixed together.
    Your first taste of lake trout could have been tainted by many things. Too long before cleaning, belly meat oils, heavy red meat under skin and tainted by the oils a person cooked it in. I cook it in its own oils. Skin side down first with a dressing of salt, pepper, onion powder and some times a dash of garlic powder. KIS method.

Good to know thanks Tigrr... with the white lure I'm assuming your mimicking a kokanee or rainbow trout? What do you think the dark lure would be mimicking?