Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATV Hunt Pack-In Destinations

ATV Hunt Pack-In Destinations

I'm looking to the hive mind for potential destinations for an ATV pack-in hunt. By which I mean a location where taking our ATV's with tub trailers loaded with our whole camp (14x16 wall tent, stove, food for a week, etc.) into a remote location would give a distinct hunting advantage over day tripping from a truck based camp.
    In 2020 we got a Bison draw and did just this on the Sikanni Chief. Although we didn't get our Bison, the exercise of packing in our own village was a terrific adventure. I did find the 10m ATV restriction in the Muskwa-Kechika Management Area frustrating, especially when many of the hunters didn't respect it. An ideal location would be one without ATV restrictions (or better than 10m), but where maybe there is a physical barrier to trucks, trails suitable for travel on ATV, and terrain for hike hunting. Also somewhere far enough off the beaten path that we wouldn't be stumbling across too many day trippers, say greater than 30 km from the nearest truck road.
    A few places (with ATV restrictions) that come up are the Halfway, Redfern, Toad, or Turnagain. Others I've looked at are Bear Lake on the BCRail Grade, and Graham River.
    I'm not looking for anybody's top secret hunting spot, just somewhere where these conditions for an adventure may exist. I am also not limiting my request by region, or to any specific species.
    Please PM me if you have an idea you are willing to share but don't want posted on the forum.
    Thanks hunters!
    Sikanni 2020 pics for attention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sikanni.jpg 
Views:	927 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	8945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sikanni2.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	8946  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: ATV Hunt Pack-In Destinations

might be worth looking into snowmobile club trails, lots of them are huge and too narrow for trucks. I don't have any specifically in mind but it might be something worth looking at.

That’s a good idea! Thank you for that.

Redfern...... Then after you've gone as far as you can via atv, bust your backside via another two days backpacking way back. Richards cr. Bat cr. Besa R.
    Three guys......
    Take a variety of Tags and giver !
    Last edited by Imdone; 01-14-2023 at 09:21 PM.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Ive been hunting like this for close to ten years in Alberta. I hunt up a winter road that’s closed in September, but I’m not sure how many of those are available in bc.

If you’re Interested In checking out my spot it’s highway 63 north of mcmurray to Fort Chipewyan. It’s called the Richardson backcountry. There should be lots of YouTube vids on it. It’s very lawless and there’s literally quad trails in every direction for hundreds or even thousands of kms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Ive been hunting like this for close to ten years in Alberta. I hunt up a winter road that’s closed in September, but I’m not sure how many of those are available in bc.

If you’re Interested In checking out my spot it’s highway 63 north of mcmurray to Fort Chipewyan. It’s called the Richardson backcountry. There should be lots of YouTube vids on it. It’s very lawless and there’s literally quad trails in every direction for hundreds or even thousands of kms.

Ya gotta love Alberta. I can hunt back country ATV/tub trailer all over northern Alberta. Seismic lines and new and old oil and gas roads everywhere. Many are over grown but with a few tanks of gas and a power saw you can get way back. Should be the same on the BC side of the peace. I have more spots than time for. I don’t go where everyone goes, I am off the beaten track. We do very, very well, And most importantly it is super satisfying, even the really shitty parts which are usually forgotten in short order after the pain goes away or the damage is fixed. If you are on the NE side if BC there could be access issues due to muskeg. Really scan the satellite images and pay attention to the weather.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Redfern...... Then after you've gone as far as you can via atv, bust your backside via another two days backpacking way back. Richards cr. Bat cr. Besa R.
    Three guys......
    Take a variety of Tags and giver !
    Beat me to it.
    Can be a popular destination but does fit the bill.
    Msy have to contend with some very deep puddles at times, so make sure you are prepared for that, as well sX the trailers.

I have no locations to offer but I do a least one trip a year like this. Always a great time. Last year I did elk and goat hunts camping off the sxs and quad. Just packing for a snowmobile camp trip in northern BC. I do this solo for the most part so I always have a decent assortment of gear, spare parts for the machine, extraction gear for getting unstuck and a sat messenger! With the tub trailer I run 8ply tires which are almost flatproof and ensure my hitch is solid. New wheel bearings yearly are cheap insurance!
    Have fun!!

Careful, many snowmobile trails are for winter access only.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeman20 View Post
    might be worth looking into snowmobile club trails, lots of them are huge and too narrow for trucks. I don't have any specifically in mind but it might be something worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by XPEIer View Post
    Careful, many snowmobile trails are for winter access only.
    Yes, our club gets pretty pissy when people tear up the skiddoo trails with atvs.