Thread: Anyone hunted/fished HG/Queen Charlottes in '22?

Anyone hunted/fished HG/Queen Charlottes in '22?

I am considering a trip to the Queen Charlott's next year, trying to organize a 2 week "surf & turf". In this forum I read mixed reviews about the hunting on the QC, everything from "all deer are gone" to "still excellent". Has anyone been this year and could give a first hand account on how the hunting is there?
    Also, if anyone has fishing charters they can recommend I would appreciate that as well.....

Thanks in advance,
    M

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone hunted/fished HG/Queen Charlottes in '22?

I was there twice this year fishing, seen lots of suitcase deer but really they were the camp deer so to speak so I can’t really tell?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I havent been recently but have been once in January and once in august in the past. Both times the hunting was ok but not great. If you are after meat Ive heard early June is good, after that the bucks head up in elevation into the hard to get to spots. Also heard it rains steady in June. The locals told me they hunt boat access areas with good success.

Used to be a few guys that chartered out of rennell sound. Cant beat that fishing out that way.

The wife and I are planning a trip for august next year.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Thanks all, sounds like it's worth for the fishing but not for the hunting... oh well.

Saw a lady on FB with great success in the fall hunting, not sure what the fishing would be like then though...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Did some fishing this year and did well. Tons of deer but you need to get out a bit. There’s a lot of pit lamping around roaded areas. Estuaries are loaded with them and so is the subalpine / alpine. Tough to get to though.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

I hunted Haida August 2022. Me and two friends got dropped off by boat and hiked into the Alpine in one of the inlets on the west coast. It was a crazy hard hike into the alpine. 2km took 9 hours. There was no,trails just bushwhacking but when we got to the top it was amazing. We saw 60 deer over the three days we were up there. the plan was to stay for 5 days but we shot our bucks in the first two days and simply couldn’t carry out anymore than 4 deer between three of us due to the terrain so we left a couple days early to fish the rivers. while there I glasses many mountains on other sides of the inlets and found deer on all of them. Like you I struggled to find information about hunting on the island but after many many hours of research I felt comfortable there would be deer where we went and we weren’t upset with what we found. I have a full 30 minute YouTube video being released on it June 15 2023 on my channel - loopsoutdoors. Feel free to message me on instagram at the same name if you want to chat further.

The road system deer are Hunted hard no matter how for you drive back. Unlike 10 years ago when you just had to head over the mountain as the call it on fritz to get into good deer. The problem as has been stated is that the deer hunting is good in boat access and hike in only areas but boats are expensive weather can be crap hiking you can only take out so many deer. Road hunting isn't the slam dunk it used to be and with gas prices well...