Thread: Pressure canning bear chilli

Pressure canning bear chilli

I started pressure canning some chilli lately. Results are ok, tastes like canned chilli, ingredients are just a little soft. I fried up all ingredients, then added canned beans before pressure canning.

I was thinking whats the differnce if I just put all ingredients in the jars raw and pressure can them? I tried searching the www and couldnt find any results..I got a whole bear to cut and was thinking of doing a big batch right away rather than wasting time wrapping the ground.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pressure canning bear chilli

Don't mess around with pressure canning.
    Follow the instructions.
    In a bear chili, you've got bear and possibly tomatoes.
    Ripe for infestation with trichinosis and botulism.
    Cook the life out of it and can it properly.
    It ain't worth it.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I canned a bunch of bear and venison. It wasn't chili but just the meat.

Pay attention to the instructions on tomatoes. I don't think botulism is a problem - that's why you pressure can tomatoes and not hot bath them. But, it's something to take seriously.

My canned Bear and Venison are huge hits around here. I did a hot pack on venison a couple of years ago. Personally I don't think it's worth the extra step. I couldn't tell the difference in flavor between the hot pack and the cold pack. And the cold pack is MUCH MUCH easier. Just make sure you really pack the jars tight because it does shrink down a lot.

My recipe:

Carrots, celery, onions, and garlic, all diced and thrown in the jar. Pack the chopped meat. Throw in 1/2 bouillon cube. Sometimes I ad some pepper. Seal and pressure cook according to cooker instructions. I think mine was 90 min at pressure and then the cool down period.

It's a little time consuming but tastes amazing. I make a lot of meat pies out of the bear. It's probably my 12 year old son's favorite dish ever. He's begging me to get another bear.

If you need any more details I'm happy to provide.

Ive canned raw bear meat before thats what got me thinking about a raw pack of the chilli to make it faster and maybe not so mushy. So because of the tomatoes packing the meat raw in chilli is different than just straight bear meat?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I would give it a go. Do one batch and if you don't like it - just can the meat and make the chili out of that.

Now you've got me hungry for chili - I need to make some venison chili next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Ive canned raw bear meat before thats what got me thinking about a raw pack of the chilli to make it faster and maybe not so mushy. So because of the tomatoes packing the meat raw in chilli is different than just straight bear meat?

No issues with raw-packing it, but you might get better flavour browning the meat on its own then just mixing the cooked meat with the rest of the "raw" ingredients before canning.