Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Inreach text another Inreach

Can Inreach text another Inreach

I’m looking at buying a Inreach mini2. Can I message another Inreach. One of my hunting partners got one for Xmas. Could we message each other while out hunting? also my dad has the delorme version. Could I message him? I’ve seen a lot of YouTube reviews but none that mention texting other units. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Can Inreach text another Inreach

If you have an inReach device, you can send a message from your inReach to another inReach by using the inReach address as the recipient. Each inReach user is assigned a unique inReach address (example@inreach.garmin.com) at the moment the account is created. Sent and received messages count as separate messages.
    The inReach address only works for inReach-to-inReach communication. Messages sent to an inReach address from a non-inReach device, like a smartphone, will not be delivered.
    We have three that we use like this all the time

Just make sure you use the inreach email address, not the phone number that shows up when you receive a text from your inreach. And sort it out before you go anywhere because I don’t think you can find that email addy on your device.

don't expect to receive the message right away either. Can have a significant delay between devices

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSix View Post
    I’m looking at buying a Inreach mini2. Can I message another Inreach. One of my hunting partners got one for Xmas. Could we message each other while out hunting? also my dad has the delorme version. Could I message him? I’ve seen a lot of YouTube reviews but none that mention texting other units. Thanks
    you can message each other, dont expect it to be as fast as texting someone at home though, but it does work, my hunting group has mostly uses inreach devices with the odd zoleo unit as well

It's not fast, but it's definitely a valid option for communicating plans etc, over distance.

we have used them to coordinate a moose hunt , 3 units scattered on a lake
    certainly fast enough, usually within minutes

no, its not cellphone fast, so I guess there is room for complaint.......
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Speed relies on settings and how often your device is set to check for new messages. The majority of my IR use has been on 2 week sheep hunts, so my unit is generally set to manual checks to preserve battery power.
    Having access to charging capability every day could definitely change the way the unit is used.

Yes you can. And you can set it so that the message sends your location as well (or not) which can be very helpful. We use that often that often to let a partner that has been dropped off where the truck is parked before heading off for the day, or less often but more fun to let your partner know where you're dealing with a downed animal.

Awesome news thanks everybody for the quick response. Glad I’ll be able to talk with no reception. And yes we usually have the settings on manual. But will probably set up a time of day where we check in.