Thread: Scope Caps - whatddya using?

Scope Caps - whatddya using?

I have only used a bikini cover on my scope but after hunting a couple times in the rain this year I think I want to upgrade to some caps.

What is everyone using?

I now have a Nikon Monarch (3-9) and a Leupold VariX II 2-7.

It looks like Butler Creek is the go to? Leupold seems to be hawking the Alumina covers - but they're pricey!!

Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope Caps - whatddya using?

Alumina covers are worth every dime, lifetime warranty as well, sent two broken ones back replaced within a week.

Butler creek or Vortex and electric tape.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I run BC Flip Ups exclusively. They just work and are fairly priced. Take the time to measure your ocular and objectives with a dial caliper to get a snug fit.
    They also have a new line of that's a bit more flexible that I own, but haven't spent enough time to say they're superior. For reference, I have 9 or 10 scopes rigged with Flip Ups and have about 17 years of use now. I've had 2 spring failures in that time, which is inconvenient, but won't hinder a hunt or lens protection, as the cap can lay on top of the scope out of the way when shooting.

Avoid the see through 'Blizzard' style. They're like looking through Vaseline smeared glass anyway.

X2 on electrical tape, especially if you have a tweener size ocular or objective.
    In those cases, I'll generally opt the smaller end and use a bit of water as lube to fit it on the scope.

Everybody likes something different, personally I cannot stand flip up covers they don’t work in my leather scabbard or my homemade scabbard I put on the quad. I use a bikini scope cover that used to be made in BC 30 years ago. My next choice would be the neoprene one piece scope covers, I think they were going to be about the best all-around protection.

Oops brain fart they were made by QD in Oregon USA. With the flick of your thumb while you were raising your rifle to the shoulder it came right off and give you a clear shooting site.
    Last edited by MRP; 01-10-2023 at 02:35 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Leupold Alumina, buy once cry once.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

You guys that run the neoprene or bikini style covers, how do you still hunt with those?

The beauty of the flip up style caps is they're super easy to pop as you shoulder to shoot. Then simply pop back down and carry on.

I know guys who hunt with naked scopes, but they're usually the guys who think nothing of scrubbing expensive glass lenses with a dirty t-shirt. Haha.