Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Cougars without hounds

Hunting Cougars without hounds

Running hounds for 10 years ive been told by others that Cougars arent baitable, and they move on from food when pushed from Coyotes and other predators.

Well after placing four baits with cell cameras over a large area hoping to draw in Wolves i attracted some long tails. Dec 18th i set out baits and Dec 21 is when the first Lion started visiting. Now i have 6 separate Lions coming in. A Female with 2 yearlings/without spots. A cat i named Kinky due to his broken tail, and his gf. And a lone Tom

For bait stations i use 100lbs of butcher scraps and whole beavers (5- 6) Honestly the cats only ate the beavers. I suggest nailing them to the tree to avoid being moved by them or Coyotes.

From Dec 21 to now ive seen Fox, piles of coyotes and Lions coming. Oh lets not forget the thousands of birds! lol

This weekend i was in my blind waiting on the sunrise knowing the lions on the bait to hear Coyotes barking and chirping a distance out getting closer. They pushed the cat off. It took everything in me not to shoot them

After the dogs ate i decided to add 5 more beavers to the pile since the cat was gone for now. Thankfully i did as the beavers were about done.

I returned with the last few hours of light to wait and see if the cat would return. I felt the cat would need more time with the coyotes and me in there working. After sitting and feeling i was wasting my time i noticed the lone Tom coming in slow. I watched him smell the bones and check out the new beavers. After 10 minutes i decided to seal the deal. I shot once with my 28 Nosler hitting the cat in the heart. The cat ran maybe 20 yards.

Im very happy with this Tom. its not huge like some of my previous cats but i feel its accomplishment over bait.

for anyone wondering, my blind is 230 yards from the pile. its been there since day 1 to make them comfortable seeing it
    Last edited by BCHunterTV; 01-09-2023 at 09:51 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Cougars without hounds

That's terrific!
    Congratulations to you and your perseverance and patience
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Well that's awesome congrats! Any pics? I'm surprised the cats were interested in eating the beavers only..

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterTV View Post
    Running hounds for 10 years ive been told by others that Cougars arent baitable, and they move on from food when pushed from Coyotes and other predators.

Well after placing four baits with cell cameras over a large area hoping to draw in Wolves i attracted some long tails. Dec 18th i set out baits and Dec 21 is when the first Lion started visiting. Now i have 6 separate Lions coming in. A Female with 2 yearlings/without spots. A cat i named Kinky due to his broken tail, and his gf. And a lone Tom

For bait stations i use 100lbs of butcher scraps and whole beavers (5- 6) Honestly the cats only ate the beavers. I suggest nailing them to the tree to avoid being moved by them or Coyotes.

From Dec 21 to now ive seen Fox, piles of coyotes and Lions coming. Oh lets not forget the thousands of birds! lol

This weekend i was in my blind waiting on the sunrise knowing the lions on the bait to hear Coyotes barking and chirping a distance out getting closer. They pushed the cat off. It took everything in me not to shoot them

After the dogs ate i decided to add 5 more beavers to the pile since the cat was gone for now. Thankfully i did as the beavers were about done.

I returned with the last few hours of light to wait and see if the cat would return. I felt the cat would need more time with the coyotes and me in there working. After sitting and feeling i was wasting my time i noticed the lone Tom coming in slow. I watched him smell the bones and check out the new beavers. After 10 minutes i decided to seal the deal. I shot once with my 28 Nosler hitting the cat in the heart. The cat ran maybe 20 yards.

Im very happy with this Tom. its not huge like some of my previous cats but i feel its accomplishment over bait.

for anyone wondering, my blind is 230 yards from the pile. its been there since day 1 to make them comfortable seeing it
    Awesome man congrats! Quite an accomplishment, and I appreciate the write up learnt some new things too.

X2 on the pic would be cool to see Lion

That’s really cool and thanks for the write-up / info.
    The World is run by those that show up.

Nice write up. How close do you figure you could set your blind up to the bait?

Honestly I wouldn't try within 200 yards due to the slwind ...their eyesight etc... certainly smart animals

Congrats again on the lion over bait. Showed caddisgirl the vid you sent us the other day. She says congrats too! Quite an accomplishment there and thanks for posting it up here on HBC. PS thanks again for the help this season. We fully appreciate it.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 01-12-2023 at 12:07 AM.

Anytime man!

Could I share some pics for you to post here?

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterTV View Post
    Anytime man!

Could I share some pics for you to post here?
    Honored! I'll start with a couple of your trailcam pics for a lead-up