Thread: Roe Buck in Scotland

Roe Buck in Scotland

Well, after a long few years without travelling. My family will get back on the wagon later this spring to go to Ireland and Scotland. I managed to book some brown trout fishing in Ireland and a couple days of roe buck hunting in Scotland. Unfortunately, the only thing that is open during this time is roe bucks. I am just wondering if anyone has stalked roe bucks before and what to expect as far as weather, gear, and shooting. The guide mentioned that camo is not needed as isn't that popular in the UK, more earth tones. He recommended being comfortable to shoot with sticks to about 220 yards with a .200 caliber. I am comfortable with my .243 to 300 yards but without sticks so I plan on practicing that. Just looking for general advise if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance,

Chopper.
    Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    well they aren't scissoring... so at least one is male

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Roe Buck in Scotland

Connect with a shop like Farlow's (https://www.farlows.co.uk/) in London and ask what their advice is regarding clothing. There are also shops in Edinburgh that would have advice as would dedicated online forums. I have hunted upland birds and ducks as well as fished in many places in Scotland, though never tried stalking. One of my pals got a nice stag in the Outer Hebrides when we were there but I was focused on sea trout, not deer. That said, the ground is undulating and pretty open and there is lots of gorse and heather to crawl through. I've sat through some torrential rain storms there so I would focus on good rain gear. There is a preference for tweeds and flat caps but I have seen guys stalking in British Army camo pattern rain gear too. The Field is another magazine that focuses on this so you can get a sense of what people are wearing there (https://www.thefield.co.uk/). I would dress for comfort and be prepared for rain. What keeps you dry here will keep you dry there.

When I was in Scotland it was wet and my daughter who was living there at the time said it was normal to get get rain each day and a wet fog in the am. Found it was wetter in the highlands and the north. Wool or synthetics and raingear.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely will be packing some raingear. I think the toughest part will be picking out a proper Scottish cap to use...LOL. I will post some pics when I return.

Chopper
    Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    well they aren't scissoring... so at least one is male