Thread: Flying to hunt

Flying to hunt

I’m planning a trip to Alberta in November to hunt with an uncle who is a resident there. Wanted to know if anyone has flown to hunt how you brought your meat and antlers back?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flying to hunt

I used to hunt in Saskatchewan late November/early December and I would have the meat butchered and frozen then just boxed it and checked it as luggage. I brought the antlers the same way although back then you got two free checked bags and then paid for any additional. Also in those days West Jet allowed a free checked sports item which of course covered my rifle.

In researching a hunt in New Zealand I came across a ‘hot tip’ for bringing antlers back: cover the tips of all times with garden hose to prevent the times from puncturing the container.

I’ve been told by multiple people that they bring frozen meat back in a cooler that is checked luggage. Some others have brought it back as a carry-on in a soft-sided Yeti cooler.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

No problem. The wife's nephew does it every year. They do charge you for being overweight on your baggage though. Once it's processed and froze they just put it in Tupperware totes. I'm unsure about the horns though.