Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sitka or?

Re: Sitka or?

Softshell - jack of all trades, master of none.

as SR80 alluded to, how do you hunt?

My experiece:
    If you've moving at all up a mtn, don't bring a softshell in sept or early october. Especially if you are wearing a backpack.
    If you're elmer pudding it on flat logging roads then I like my kuiu axis hybrid jacket but I really never wear it.

Honestly you could save the money and just go with:
    - a basic long sleeve shirt from any outdoor brand,
    - a neck gaiter and wear a synthetic vest
    - lightweight gloves, and carry
    - a lightweight rain jacket in your pack

You'll be good to go for the first 6 weeks of season.

I had both a jetstream and a SG deHav jacket for about a day and sold both. Fit was strange.
    Had a kuiu kutana softshell and a kui guide. Sold both. Too warm and not weather resistant enough.

currently have the kuiu axis hybrid jacket because it has waterproofing on it vs. other softshells being water 'resistant'. I have only used it on my quad. If I don't use it next year I'll sell.

I am not a fan of softshells.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    are you planning on hike in this jacket or or stationary sits kinda thing? Hard to beat the jetstream from sitka, windproof and breaths good. I prefer the stone glacier DH jacket though, mainly the fit for me.
    I'll be combo hunting atv to hunting area, hiking and sitting in a climbing tree stand or ground blind.

Will check out this Jetstream as several people have mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    How is that for sizing? ie: is the Jetstream sized up'd from the puffy?
    I have the older model and the fit seems spot on, im 6’ and thin, the large fits with enough room for layering. I have heard the newer model fits a little snugger.

I seen the SG de Havilland recommended. My personal experience is it’s not much of a hunting jacket, thin cold and a weird fit ime. Does look nice as a down town jacket though.

While I don't have other brands to compare it to, I have Sitka Downpour Pants and Jacket.

I'm very pleased with this gear to date.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Softshell - jack of all trades, master of none.

as SR80 alluded to, how do you hunt?

My experiece:
    If you've moving at all up a mtn, don't bring a softshell in sept or early october. Especially if you are wearing a backpack.
    If you're elmer pudding it on flat logging roads then I like my kuiu axis hybrid jacket but I really never wear it.

Honestly you could save the money and just go with:
    - a basic long sleeve shirt from any outdoor brand,
    - a neck gaiter and wear a synthetic vest
    - lightweight gloves, and carry
    - a lightweight rain jacket in your pack

You'll be good to go for the first 6 weeks of season.

I had both a jetstream and a SG deHav jacket for about a day and sold both. Fit was strange.
    Had a kuiu kutana softshell and a kui guide. Sold both. Too warm and not weather resistant enough.

currently have the kuiu axis hybrid jacket because it has waterproofing on it vs. other softshells being water 'resistant'. I have only used it on my quad. If I don't use it next year I'll sell.

I am not a fan of softshells.
    I don't think a long sleeved shirt and rain coat would cut the mustard. Several times in September we have had snow falling. I'd prefer a soft shell with the ability to layer under it for added insulation if required for the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I don't think a long sleeved shirt and rain coat would cut the mustard. Several times in September we have had snow falling. I'd prefer a soft shell with the ability to layer under it for added insulation if required for the conditions.
    Can't really beat wearing a long sleeve and vest then packing a puffy and rain jacket. But I can also see the argument for a soft shell. I just picked up a Jetstream to try out.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Is the jet stream a comparable product to the kuiu guide jacket? I have a guide jacket here I have to return or size up, but I’d rather have Sitka.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Is the jet stream a comparable product to the kuiu guide jacket? I have a guide jacket here I have to return or size up, but I’d rather have Sitka.
    Jetstream is better in my opinion, it has a true windstopper membrane. I always found the guide jacket too stiff and hot for me. Thats why i like the SG, great stretch and not overly thick and insulated. I also dislike the neck/collar on the guide jacket. I prefer the scuba style like SG and arcteryx use.

The jetsream is more comparable to the kuiu axis coat, but not quite as warm. The sitka sizing is a bit more spot on. I run the 3xl in kuiu and the 2xl in sitka. I find the jetstream quite versatile in changing temps. I have worn mine from cold august conditions to november. The kuiu axis is certainly more of a colder weather coat.