Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka or?

Sitka or?

Looking at spending some money on a new hunting jacket, something quiet, something water and wind proof, something with some insulation but not a winter parka. Something to use Sept into mid October. I have a one piece suit for cold weather and a Sitka Fanatic for later season if it's not too chilly out.

Any suggestions on what a fellow should check out? Been looking over some Sitka and Skre products but with a budget of 3-$800 or so what would you suggest I look over? Was looking at this one.....

https://skre.ca/collections/jackets-...34801326915737

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sitka or?

I think the Sitka thunderhead is the best option for an all around hunting coat. The only thing it lacks is pit zips to get some ventilation going. I have the downpour which is similar and it’s pretty good, but the cut is meant for tree stand archery. It’s pretty tight in the cuffs.

As far as insulation goes I believe the coat is the shell and insulate separately. I’ve used my downpour into the minus 30s with a couple layers underneath and it’s been just fine.

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/t...fade-subalpine

I use the jetstream quite a bit into October with a light puff under if I need, quite pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    I use the jetstream quite a bit into October with a light puff under if I need, quite pleased with it.
    How is that for sizing? ie: is the Jetstream sized up'd from the puffy?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Without mentioning a specific piece of gear. I will say from personal experience that Sitka's warranty and customer service is some of the best I have ever delt with.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I like my Sitka thunderhead gear, waterproof and quiet. If I need new gear it would be thunderhead again or I’d go Kuiu. Have a look at the kuiu axis hybrid jacket and pants. If you’re feeling spendy get a set of gaiters while you’re at it and be done.

I crossed a “creek” one year moose hunting with buddy, thunderhead jacket, pants and gaiters. Over my waist. When we got back to the truck buddy in his browning hells canyon gear was soaked, I was dry. He now owns thunderhead gear.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    x2 on the jetstream. Had mine for 4 seasons. Super versatile soft shell. Lots of pockets and zips. Dress it up or down for different temps. Wind proof and water ‘resistant’. That being said I’ve never wetted it out. I have the older one. I think they revamped it sometime in last couple years with some improvements

Check out Forloh gear. The Allclima soft shell jacket. Used that jacket this year hunting stones. It PISSED rain for 7 days straight. Windy as hell. The jacket performed flawless. Windproof, waterproof, breathable and their stuff is 100% sourced and made in the USA, if that matters to you at all. Lifetime warranty, satisfaction guaranteed, all that crap. Went and checked there stuff out at there headquarters in Whitefish before I bought. awesome company. Like Sitka and Kuiu, you gotta size up.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 01-04-2023 at 06:11 PM.

are you planning on hike in this jacket or or stationary sits kinda thing? Hard to beat the jetstream from sitka, windproof and breaths good. I prefer the stone glacier DH jacket though, mainly the fit for me.

Was also gonna suggest the SG de havilland jacket. It’s the best hunting soft shell out there, in my opinion. It has DWR coating, but definitely not waterproof.