Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Predator Thread

Re: Official 2023 Predator Thread

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    right on, be thankful you even got to lay eyes on one. Good luck in your pursuits!
    Thanks! Sounds like I'm gonna need luck and a lot of it lol....

So my 10 year old son and I while out on our treks have found a small wolf pack in our area...unfortunately all the cam footage, as expected, has shown nocturnal movement only.. they are using powerlines, and a riverbed as their primary highway at night we discovered...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So around my other life and bushtime obligations, I have done one sit and calling set, after using the cam footage and tracks to determine one of the patches of thick forest where they are heading into during the day...so I figured that obviously they will not come into the open during daylight, so I sat my ass down in the old growth thickets and called for awhile, trying to mimic a calf moose in distress sound (I know it's not calving season yet, but would they really know?)...I figured next time, given the fact from my first wolf experience that they come into cow moose calls, that maybe I'd try that? I figure that a rabbit in distress may not work as a rabbit is a very small animal and wolves are always in pursuit of larger game, so they most likely wouldn't come into a call like that for such a small animal? Those in the know please provide me with your suggestions, as to calls and/or tactics I should be using, and thanks in advance...

[IMG][/IMG]

the last wolf I called in came to rodent distress
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    the last wolf I called in came to rodent distress
    Good to know thanks...

So my 10 year old son and I tracked the wolves to a different location, we setup cam on an old moose hide that we found, and sure enough, as we anticipated, they have been frequently visiting that location...to my surprise, for the first time we got the small pack on camera during the daylight hours...appears to be only 2 adults + a young one as seen in some of the pics below..so we sat one morning, and tried a rabbit in distress call with no luck...I have an idea of where to sit next in the general area, anyone with experience suggest I stick with a rabbit in distress call, or try something different? I'm even thinking that even though it is not the rut, maybe a cow moose call could bring them in? Thanks for any tips in advance...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]