Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Predator Thread

Re: Official 2023 Predator Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Sweet, thanks!

Not to derail the thread too much, but what drove the change from the LSS to the McMillan?
    It just had the plastic factory CTR stock on it prior to the Game Warden 2.0. I do have a MDT LSS chassis on my kids Tikka 204, maybe that's what you're remembering

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Buddy right on your smokin em'!!
    thanks! Had a bit of action this evening when a pair began to bark and howl back to me early in the stand but nothing came of it. Waited them out right 'till dark but no luck

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mr. Bartell What do you with them if I may ask ?
    Arctic Lake
    I've been giving them to a local woman who uses them for projects. Nice to see them not go to waste. When fur prices were decent I was giving them to a trapper

here's a pic of last night's coyote that she's skinned for a rug. She's learning how to tan her own hides which is pretty cool

Last edited by todbartell; 03-13-2023 at 10:43 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Great stuff Mr.Bartell ! I thought their hides would make good furs for something !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Great stuff Mr.Bartell ! I thought their hides would make good furs for something !
    Arctic Lake
    Here's a bit from an article on 2023 fur values :

Fashion trends continue to drag on the fur market. Despite all of the obvious benefits of fur – its incredible warmth and durability, sustainable management, environmental friendliness and biodegradability, and the necessity to harvest animals to manage healthy populations, the animal rights movement continues to influence the industry and fashion.

Several fashion lines have announced they’ll discontinue using fur. Canada Goose – the largest buyer of coyote pelts and trendsetter in fur lined parka fashion, has gone ‘fur free’. In addition, several cities in the U.S. have passed rules banning the sale of fur products, and some states are contemplating fur bans as well. Just when we should be celebrating the benefits of wild fur, society seems to be running away from it.

Coyote – For years coyotes were the one standout in an overall poor fur market. This was driven primarily by the trendy fur lined parka hoods sold by Canada Goose and other similar coat companies. The trend appears to have finally reached its end, and demand for coyote pelts dropped off a cliff last year. That’s unfortunate because coyotes are one of the most prolific furbearing species, and humans benefit greatly from responsible, sustainable levels of coyote harvest. With the low prices to come, we may not see much harvest for fur, and animal damage control trapping will likely need to play a larger role in harvesting coyotes. The best quality Heavy western coyotes will still be in demand, but at a lower price, likely around $30-40.
    With the limited demand for coyote pelts likely to be filled by western heavies, the lower quality Eastern and Southern coyotes will be priced low, with Easterns bringing in the $15-25 range and the rest around $10-15.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Made it out for a few days of predator hunting

Called a few coyotes in but no luck killing anything. Had a pack of wolves howling the one morning from a mile away, but I had prior commitments and no time to go after them. Walking away from a wolf pack, talk about painful. I went the next day, but they were long gone.

Last edited by todbartell; 03-20-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Great pics and story, a lifetime memory for all.
    Great looking family. Keep it up.
    Great stuff right here for HBC
    Thanks
    Rickady

One last hunt for the season

Left the truck at daybreak and walking into my spot I see two coyotes working the edge of the willow swamp. One made the mistake of stopping to look back at 312 yards. 223 Rem / 55gr Vmax

NIce work Tod!

A quick story: I had zero wolf hunting experience until last year, as I spent the majority of my bush time in reg 8 where we had pretty much no wolves (at least in the areas I resided in)...so then we moved to the North Thompson, and wow is there ever a wolf prob....so back in November, I had a moose draw in one area, hunting fresh moose sign, and as my partner and I are sitting there, we can hear a cow moose call from the other side of the river...we can tell right away that it is another hunter, shortly after he starts his calling sequence, we hear 3 gun shots followed quickly by another cow moose call followed immediately by a wolf howl - we quickly deduce that wolves came into the moose calls, he took cracks at them, they ran, he then tried to stop them with another moose call, didn't work, so he tried a wolf howl - only real logical explanation...

So my partner decided to check sign elsewhere while I sat there for a short period of time before deciding that there's no point after all that noise...so, I start still hunting with the wind in my face, nice and slow, towards the river (probably a half hour after the commotion we heard)...so as I'm approaching the river nice and quietly, I hear a dog bark, sounded just like a regular dog, so I creep up to the river, and see this large wolf looking canine standing broadside, standing still for almost 2 seconds, I'm quickly thinking before I shoot it, that the other hunter is in the area, maybe it's his dog and he's playing in the river? So before I take a shot at it I thoroughly peak down the river both ways, but just then, the wolf notices me and takes off like a bat out of hell - crap! It was a wolf, sure I'm glad that I didn't shoot someone's dog and I'm glad I checked, but damn, I would've loved to have bagged my first wolf..so I proceed to the river, I could see where the wolf ran into the bush, I sit there for a couple minutes on a log pile and do a wolf howl, just then another peers out from behind a tree - I quickly mount my gun to my shoulder but it noticed my movement and quickly runs off (it's amazing how well they notice movement), I proceed to track it through the timber for 90 minutes but no luck...

This experience gave me motivation to dedicate a little time to hunting wolves from now on, even though I know odds of success are low...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Tracking it through the timber....

[IMG][/IMG]

right on, be thankful you even got to lay eyes on one. Good luck in your pursuits!