Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good quick use slings for being alone in Grizz country

Re: Good quick use slings for being alone in Grizz country

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post

next best is a single-point sling attached to the pack straps
    Nice to see someone who knows the true use of a saddle ring. What’s the caliber?
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    I've never not carried at least a day pack while hunting, so that sling does nothing for me. It looks slick for the application it's designed for though.

Observer;

To answer your question, functionally the gun bearer probably the best alternative to carrying in hand if your prmary requirement is the quickest to shoulder. But I hated always having the barrel out the front. Some of the place I goat hunted where I was climbing up rocks were an issue as i contacted the barrel with rocks on more than one occasion. Plus I found i was always working around the barrel. Just didnt work for me.

I can get my rifle in hand and shouldered pretty fast with my slik sling. Have no concerns about its functionality if presented with a sudden opportunity or running into a bear.
    If i am stalking an animal or stillhunting , rifle is in hand. If I see a bear (griz) or real fresh griz sign in proximity to where i will be moving through or I get "that feeling" something is close, rifle is in hand. I spend a ton of time hiking from spot to spot where I have no need to have the rifle in hand all the time. I can move quicker and safer using poles or hands free
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-04-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Interesting, I found just the opposite in ugly terrain. Barrel scratches don't concern me much on a hunt, but scope bangs definitely do. I always appreciated having my scope near to my heart, literally, as it was the best protection from impact.

Different horses for different courses for sure. I'm with Ron C, just couldn't get past the barrel waving around out front. Always seemed to be in the way.

I gotta admit the barrel bugged me at first. Used to it now and love the kifaru. Use the barrel to steady the binos. Having both hands free for climbing or poles is great.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    I gotta admit the barrel bugged me at first. Used to it now and love the kifaru. Use the barrel to steady the binos. Having both hands free for climbing or poles is great.
    Yes, I do the same thing, use the barrel as a brace for glassing. So much steadier than normal. I also like that the gun doesn’t get stuck when I’m going under branches and the scope is protected by my arm/body. It’s really fast to get the gun to shoulder too. Not that I’ve ever had to do this in a real situation.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Having helped about a half dozen guys set up there GB's, I will say that it takes a smidge more effort than just lining up the velcro straps and heading out hunting. Lol.
    The most common issue is only having the barrel gripped by the top loop. That'll definitely give you a real loose fit and drive you nuts.

Once guys get set up properly and can overlook the barrel crossing their line of sight, I've never seen anyone go back to a traditional sling with a pack.

Making a diy gun butt bucket can allow for some variations in placement around the waist band, full forward to full rearward, then barrel has various placement from straight forward to across the chest or up behind the shoulder
    Add a simple web sling with two straps for over-the-head or backpack mode and the variations are endless
    specific, single-purpose items drive me crazy
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC