Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I want a new rifle.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: I want a new rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Attributes I'd like-
    sub $1200
    Removable box mag
    Cerakote or similar protection on barrel and action
    Synthetic stock of some flavour
    Short action
    Under 8.5lbs

I fondled a savage 110 hunter xp in .308, and a 110 scout in .308 today. Both bolts felt like I was dragging a stick through a cast iron pipe. Loose, and rough. The short scout rifle seems interesting, for a short, maneuverable rifle in the bush, or in a small truck or boat. How much velocity and accuracy do I loose with that short barrel though? Does it make it harder to find a factory load it likes?

What else should I be looking at? I have a .243 and a 30-06. I'm not stuck on .308 either, but I mainly hunt the Island, so it seems like a good round for the odd trip north, while still not being excessive for local hunts.
    So, this is completely outside the box thinking, how about a 44 mag lever, or M77/44 bolt? Both light, fast handling, good for close up shooting, and terrific for bear/blacktail hunting? Just thought I'd be devils advocate? I have a couple short 44 mags, ones a semi auto ruger carbine, and one is a bolt action M77/44. Both are well euipped for 100 yrd shots! Wish I was in the market for a new gun, there is a beauty 9.3x74 on gun nutz i'd love to buy!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    So, this is completely outside the box thinking, how about a 44 mag lever, or M77/44 bolt? Both light, fast handling, good for close up shooting, and terrific for bear/blacktail hunting? Just thought I'd be devils advocate? I have a couple short 44 mags, ones a semi auto ruger carbine, and one is a bolt action M77/44. Both are well euipped for 100 yrd shots! Wish I was in the market for a new gun, there is a beauty 9.3x74 on gun nutz i'd love to buy!! Moosin

Exellent options for a light island gun.
    If your mixing it up in the timber, why carrry a heavy setup?

M77-44 gets two thumbs up.

You could look for a Sako A7, a bit of an upgrade from the Tikka, not sure if you could find a short action but who needs a SA in a light weight rifle anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Why? Didn't like it?
    I had a lot of problems with mine. The stock was completely terrible out of the box. It looked like most of the edges had machine chatter on them and there was a piece of the stock pushing on the barrel. Weatherby agreed with me and were supposed to send a new stock under warranty, but nobody got back to me before I sold it.

The bolt was sticky out of the box. Even cycling it empty it would get stuck on the pull back motion. I tried a few things like lube, dry, loosening action screws and scrubbing the chamber out. Weatherby said this was normal and caused by the cerakote on the bolt and it would smooth out the more I worked it. Not being able to make a follow up shot was worrisome for me.

The trigger is a basic triggertech that only goes down to 2.5 pounds, nothing less. This isn’t a big deal, but I think they should advertise this a bit better. Before I purchased mine I tried a backcountry next to a kimber, both with triggertechs, but the kimber could be lightened up quite a bit more and I was expecting to be able to turn the backcountry down to the same as the kimber I tried.

And I had a f*ck of a time reloading for this cartridge, the 6.5 wby rpm. I don’t know if something was wrong with the chamber, but my problems have happened to others on the internet. It didn’t seem to matter what I did i couldn’t get this thing to shoot. The cartridge barely fits in the action so there’s no option of running the bullets out a touch longer.

The last time I brought it out I was so pissed off I was going to smash it off the side of the shack. The only thing that stopped me was I really liked the scope that was mounted on top. Probably the most disappointing purchase of my life. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I did send weatherby an email and they wanted it back to their warranty place, but I had already sold it by then.

That's quite an experience! I have been eyeballing it because I love my Weatherby in 270.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I had a lot of problems with mine. The stock was completely terrible out of the box. It looked like most of the edges had machine chatter on them and there was a piece of the stock pushing on the barrel. Weatherby agreed with me and were supposed to send a new stock under warranty, but nobody got back to me before I sold it.

The bolt was sticky out of the box. Even cycling it empty it would get stuck on the pull back motion. I tried a few things like lube, dry, loosening action screws and scrubbing the chamber out. Weatherby said this was normal and caused by the cerakote on the bolt and it would smooth out the more I worked it. Not being able to make a follow up shot was worrisome for me.

The trigger is a basic triggertech that only goes down to 2.5 pounds, nothing less. This isn’t a big deal, but I think they should advertise this a bit better. Before I purchased mine I tried a backcountry next to a kimber, both with triggertechs, but the kimber could be lightened up quite a bit more and I was expecting to be able to turn the backcountry down to the same as the kimber I tried.

And I had a f*ck of a time reloading for this cartridge, the 6.5 wby rpm. I don’t know if something was wrong with the chamber, but my problems have happened to others on the internet. It didn’t seem to matter what I did i couldn’t get this thing to shoot. The cartridge barely fits in the action so there’s no option of running the bullets out a touch longer.

The last time I brought it out I was so pissed off I was going to smash it off the side of the shack. The only thing that stopped me was I really liked the scope that was mounted on top. Probably the most disappointing purchase of my life. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I did send weatherby an email and they wanted it back to their warranty place, but I had already sold it by then.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    That's quite an experience! I have been eyeballing it because I love my Weatherby in 270.
    after I sold it I bought some custom parts. The guy I bought the custom parts from said he has lots of customers who are unhappy with their backcountry. His product is in direct competition with weatherby so take that for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Lever guns do nothing for me. I had a 94, didn't like it. Tried a BLR .308, meh. Let's leave the 99 and 88 right out of it, because you have to look at them and...well, I'd rather not look at a savage 99 if I don't have to.

Dad does have a marlin 44mag I could probably test drive, didn't ruger make a semi auto .44mag with a rotary magazine at one point? Sort of the 10/22's meaner big brother? Or is that an assault rifle now?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Get a Tikka. They are so accurate and and have super smooth actions. It’s the best relatively inexpensive out of the box rifle.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Tikka T3X in .308

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Lever guns do nothing for me. I had a 94, didn't like it. Tried a BLR .308, meh. Let's leave the 99 and 88 right out of it, because you have to look at them and...well, I'd rather not look at a savage 99 if I don't have to.

Dad does have a marlin 44mag I could probably test drive, didn't ruger make a semi auto .44mag with a rotary magazine at one point? Sort of the 10/22's meaner big brother? Or is that an assault rifle now?
    My ruger is an internal mag, carbine! Easy to carry and light. My M77/44 is a bolt action rifle with a rotary detachable mag! Both shoot the 44 mag cartridge very well! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"