Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a new rifle.

Re: I want a new rifle.

I third on the weatherby vanguard line. Lots of different models to choose from. High quality rifle for very reasonable price range.

There are still a few Kimber Hunters out there, I am likely going to sell an unfired 84M-.243W. with TALLEY rail, which I bought last year and barely looked at. So, this would be my first choice as I just do not like Tikkas. The Kimber, MAY come back, I hope and they are neat little rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    I third on the weatherby vanguard line. Lots of different models to choose from. High quality rifle for very reasonable price range.
    Vanguards are pricey these days and still Heavy JMO RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Vanguards are pricey these days and still Heavy JMO RJ
    Yes, comparable in price to the tikka but tikkas are lighter and I like their actions more!

It's above this price range - but has anyone put hands on a weatherby backcountry? There is one on CGN that caught my eye. Problem is that I don't NEED a new rifle...

I'm shopping - not buying.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    It's above this price range - but has anyone put hands on a weatherby backcountry? There is one on CGN that caught my eye. Problem is that I don't NEED a new rifle...

Needs vs Wants RJ

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post

I bought one, sold it without ever fielding it at a substantial loss.

Why? Didn't like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I bought one, sold it without ever fielding it at a substantial loss.

Nick Chee, of Reliable, put a rig together based on a Ti Backcountry plus an upper model Leupy and I checked it out pretty thoroughly.......pricey, but doable if you like that sort of rig. I can afford it but, I just did not like the overall feel and have three KMAs already plus a superb full custom 7/08 by Mitch and the late Mick McPhee and on and on, far too many light bolt guns.......

I just don't find Weatherby rifles or cartridges turn me on and I also tend to prefer CRF actions. But, there are more options every day and taking time to choose is a wise course of action.....

I have a tikka compact in 7-08, it’s my go to rifle. It’s a dream to hike with compared to my 7 mag that has a 26” barrel.

Month or two back I got the itch and grabbed a used Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 creedmoor, (find them used right around your budget $12-1500) tick a lot of your want boxes. Rem 700 action, cerakote, removable muzzle brake, good trigger, well under your weight. Factory they are floor plate but you can get a magazine put in.

I went with the creedmoor for ammo availability, 22” barrel so happy medium for overall length between my 7mag and compact.