I want a new rifle.

Attributes I'd like-
    sub $1200
    Removable box mag
    Cerakote or similar protection on barrel and action
    Synthetic stock of some flavour
    Short action
    Under 8.5lbs

I fondled a savage 110 hunter xp in .308, and a 110 scout in .308 today. Both bolts felt like I was dragging a stick through a cast iron pipe. Loose, and rough. The short scout rifle seems interesting, for a short, maneuverable rifle in the bush, or in a small truck or boat. How much velocity and accuracy do I loose with that short barrel though? Does it make it harder to find a factory load it likes?

What else should I be looking at? I have a .243 and a 30-06. I'm not stuck on .308 either, but I mainly hunt the Island, so it seems like a good round for the odd trip north, while still not being excessive for local hunts.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I want a new rifle.

Not sure it will fit all your criteria but I’d be looking at a tikka t3x or a browning Xbolt in that price range

I bought one of these winchesters a few years back in 7mm08 and I really like it. It is a compact which I like for the type of shooting I do. I did not buy the package, put a Leupold scope on instead.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13910...fle-with-scope

XPEIER

My son bought his daughter a tikka compact in 7mm-08. It is a great gun and accurate right out of the box. He and I played around with it and both liked how it felt and handled. She took her first deer with it this year. You can sometimes find them on sale for less than a grand. We weighed it with the leupold scope and it was around 7 lbs.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Pick up an used Tikka T3x lite SS, it should be exactly what you’re looking for.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

IMO, the 308 is a much better parent case than an actual cartridge.

With what you already have, I'd say that a 7-08 would fit your needs perfectly.

In fairness, your 243 with a good bullet covers a LOT of territory...

Grab a stainless tikka. 7mm08 would be a good choice for sure since you already have a 30 cal. If you haven’t handled a tikka you can feel free to come check mine out, it’s a t3 so slightly different than the T3x.

@XPEIer I agree with you. I have two XPRs. Fantastic for the price. Excellent trigger.

@squamch Reliable gun in Vancouver has a 6.5 creedmoor in the XPR hunter edition. Coated, with factory installed muzzle. I have this in 6.8, love it. On sale as well!

Another vote for the Tikka T3X stainless in your favorite cartridge. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7mm08, .270 Win, .308 Win, all are versatile and fall in between your .243 Win and your .30-06.