Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else eatting tag soup?

Re: Anyone else eatting tag soup?

Cut my very first tag this year on a mule deer, this was my second year of hunting. Keep at it! Persistence pays off.

I find the older I get the more picky I've become. If it's not a 160"+whitetail it can stay where it's at. So that was one donated tag for conservation. Had a cow elk tag that I had a opportunity to fill but I thought it was more important for the nephew and his buddy to tag out on a nice 5x5 bull elk. Which they did.

Sounds like everyone is being very ethical on their shots and counting tines etc, that's awesome, and OP welcome to BC!

This was the first season in 8 that I didn't cut a tag, and usually I'm cutting multiple & being selective with last deer tag or 2, but this season was a challenge to say the least: moving and then learning a new area in addition to plenty of family and work obligations, then plain ol' bad luck with tines etc (and now I really wish I didn't pass on several deer after harvesting my first 6 pt elk last year).. I let a couple black bears walk because I couldn't 100% confirm they didn't have cubs, the area that I shot the elk last year was dried up - literally, we then found elk elsewhere but the bull we got on clearly was a 5x5, then we got on the herd bull (according to his track size he was huge), but couldn't count tines (he was screaming but was smart enough to keep his distance making it a challenge)...
    Deer season in my new home area was a challenge earlier season with the heat and dry conditions (as a poster pointed out earlier in this thread), and habitat that I scouted that has normally been a success for me and my partners in the past were dried up, but it was a great time exploring some new, beauty country anyway, and enjoying much of it with my son (just turned 10 now):
    [IMG][/IMG]

Then Nov came, and I had one buck that was in my sights that I was 90% sure was a 4 pt but he was scared off by 2 vehicles just as I was counting...On a positive note, even though in the past I've harvested quite a few deer still-hunting, including quite a few whitetails via that method, I felt that the extra time in the bush I was able to critique my still hunting methods even more, and was able to sneak up on a few bucks like this guy (to within 30 yards in crunchy snow), but unfortunately, they were all 3x3's, that's hunting...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I knew I was in the right areas, as I had guys like this on cam, but that's hunting, sometimes you're in the right place, wrong time..
    [IMG][/IMG]

Overall I'm still humbled by this season, and learned that I still have much to learn about animals and their habits and how they will change with various environmental conditions..

Quote Originally Posted by savage10 View Post
    Cut my very first tag this year on a mule deer, this was my second year of hunting. Keep at it! Persistence pays off.
    Right on congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    I find the older I get the more picky I've become. If it's not a 160"+whitetail it can stay where it's at. So that was one donated tag for conservation. Had a cow elk tag that I had a opportunity to fill but I thought it was more important for the nephew and his buddy to tag out on a nice 5x5 bull elk. Which they did.
    Good on ya man!.....

Not sure about this soup you're all yacking about, but I've been feasting on some amazing tag stew for the past couple seasons. Lol.

I've eaten more fish in the past year than likely the past 10, so it ain't all bad. Haha.

Failed to find a bear and turkey in the spring, got real close on a few bull elk but bush was way too thick to see more than 10-15 yards, called in a nice bull moose and managed to take a 4 pt mulie. Didn’t see a whitetail and wasn’t able to get my son his first deer, although I still have a cow elk tag I have to use. Was a good year so far. Lots of learning.

First season for big game. Have my blackbear, deer, and elk tags marinating right now.

Adult onset hunter as well. Learned a lot this year, though, and already came close to getting some tags filled, but no cigar. I have a feeling i'll fill some next year!

Ya unfortunately eating tag soup is the name of the game some years but found some good spots for next year. Unfortunately my local spot had a lot more pressure the usual.