Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else eatting tag soup?

Anyone else eatting tag soup?

Love the success stories but curious if anyone else didn't seal the deal this year?

This is my 3rd season of not filling tags. I'm an adult onset hunter, going at this solo, trying to gain as much info as I can from podcasts, Youtube university and getting in the woods. First season in Canada, from WA. Super fun hobby, just trying to enjoy the journey.

Some wins from this season. Spent more time in the woods! I let a black bear walk because I wasnt able to get into a stable shooting position, had it in the crosshairs too! No luck on the blacktails yet again. But I learned a lot, found some promising spots on the mountain for next season. Tried some saddle sits. Got bit by the archery bug. Invested in good gear.

Anyone else care to share, I'd like to hear. Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone else eatting tag soup?

I can guarantee you are not alone in being unsuccessful this year. It was a very odd season, with weather far from normal. Of approximately a dozen hunters I know personally, I’m the only one with a cut tag.

I started hunting at age 47, and am 90% self taught. My first 4 seasons I came up short, but learned a lot. It just takes time, but you will eventually be successful. My personal thoughts are that I wouldn’t rush to add archery into the equation just yet if your goal is to get meat in the freezer. Sure, go ahead and take your bow out in the archery only season (assuming you’re proficient enough with it), but once rifle season opens, I’d go that route. Experienced archers will limit themselves to 40-50 yard shoots, whereas most people can comfortably (and humanely) shoot out to 200 yards without too much difficulty. Depending on what and where you are hunting, that extra 150 yards is likely a game changer. No matter which equipment you are using, time in the woods and plain old luck will eventually see you through. And I applaud you for not taking a shot you are not 100% confident in. That shows very necessary restraint, which will save you a ton of grief over time. Even 100% certain shots can lead to bad outcomes, so no need to push the odds.

By “WA” do you mean Washington state or Western Australia? If you mean Washington, you at least have some insight into the animals and geography of BC as things are very similar. If you mean Oz, well, you’ve got quite the learning curve ahead of you.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I didn’t cut a tag this year first time in 8 years. New baby didn’t leave me much free time. Let a bear walk too as I was hoping for a bigger one. Didn’t even see a deer when I did get out for blacktails.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Love the success stories but curious if anyone else didn't seal the deal this year?

This is my 3rd season of not filling tags. I'm an adult onset hunter, going at this solo, trying to gain as much info as I can from podcasts, Youtube university and getting in the woods. First season in Canada, from WA. Super fun hobby, just trying to enjoy the journey.

Some wins from this season. Spent more time in the woods! I let a black bear walk because I wasnt able to get into a stable shooting position, had it in the crosshairs too! No luck on the blacktails yet again. But I learned a lot, found some promising spots on the mountain for next season. Tried some saddle sits. Got bit by the archery bug. Invested in good gear.

Anyone else care to share, I'd like to hear. Cheers!

where you located ? If you’re close to me, I have plenty to share.. won’t get you through the winter by any means but might just be the extra fire under your ass to keep on pushing forward each season!

Arrow Re: Anyone else eatting tag soup?

Cut both Whitetail Tags. Marking 53 years of success straight.

Did not cut:

Blacktail - Intentional after I proved to myself they are in really bad shape on the Island.

Cougar - No Opportunities.

Black Bear - Did not see one I wanted.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I got 12 nice big region 7B grouse that are long gone, and I’m left with a big pot of tag soup to get me through the ‘till spring bear season too.

The pain of my hefty fuel bill to go north is eased by the memory of calling in a bigger bull elk about 3/4 of the way (saw him on the move way off, he was either a big 5x or a big 6x. I’ll never know for sure) and remembering his angry bugles from just out of sight down below me before he bugled along his slow retreat. It was my first taste of “success” calling an elk, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable and exciting hour and a half.

The whitetail buck I missed the last morning there brings a bit of that pain back. Clean miss at least, think I must have hit a branch.

And the “maybe mulie” in the thick timber in region 3 not giving me any chance to count to 4 finished off my season.

Oh, and I learned that if you’re going to still hunt an area for the last hour of light, don’t flash your lens cleaning cloth around while wiping your eyeglasses, because that’s when you’ll hear snorts and crashing as the deer you can’t see are retreating.
    Pretend hunter.

I meant share stories not meat, haha. Thanks for the offer though.

On second thought...I'm in Chilliwack

*@Redtheis...

Yessir Washington state. I still work down there, hunt the Mt. Baker area and keep my guns at my folks place (not hasseling with import-export of a firearm up here). I haven't gotten my PAL yet, so up here I was limited to using my bow. I'll get the permit and a rifle this year, but will still try to get an animal with a bow.

Good point on the weather. The berries didnt come in til later in the season, and I blew my multiday bear hunt in August. And the lack of rain made still hunting quietly a headache, felt like I was walking on bags of chips.

Yup, lack of time working a shit schedule 10/4 and being a family man.

I was also picky with animals as well. Could have popped a few does and a small buck and some small bears.
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Didn't cut a tag, but sure did have a pile of fun!! Lots of adventures, far north trip, and was in on 2 kills locally!! Seen lots of game, chased elk, moose and deer! Feasted on grouse, and called in elk, and moose! Trail cam was on fire this year, giving hope for next season. Managed to call in and kill one moose with my buddy, that was on my trailcam from the spring, untill the day before he died!! My son and his buddy split a massive spike fork, weighing in at 400# on the hook, dressed!!!! LOTS of time in the field with some of my best friends, and made a pile more new friends, that I sure hope I stay in contact with!! tag soup never tasted so good!! Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"