Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elk Diaphragms, Tips and Techniques

Re: Elk Diaphragms, Tips and Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Thanks for the replies Gents as always!

Last year mid summer I picked up some diaphragms, so I have a 4 pack of Wayne Carleton's variety, a single, double, 2.5 and a triple (no domes). I also got a 3 pack of Rocky Mountain calls, Elk 101 3 pack 2.0, all of them are single's I believe (all domed) but these 7 are what I will be starting with.

Couldn't learn them quick enough last year I felt so I went with the ELK inc. Power Bugle and Deluxe Cow Talk I started practicing these well before when I bought the diaphragms, I called in a Bull that almost ran me over to 5 yards (he definitely thought the power bugle was a real bull challenging him) and had a vocal interaction with another with it. Heard some others too so not a complete stranger anymore. I have already purchased Elk101 in Sept (kind of late for last season) so will be going through that a couple times before opening as well.

But forsure after learning just about Elk in general and habitat, feed etc and finding ~4 different rutting grounds of different Elk. This year will be focusing more on the right call and when to use it.

Thanks for the tips and links I will be trying out this stuff for sure and watching the linked videos. Also idk if anyone has used an aluminum tube I bought one made by Rocky Mountain calls we'll see how it sounds i'm going to try the home made tubes suggested here too.
    Wanna let me know how that elk101 program is? I heard its basically a bunch of stuff you could get off the internet for free elsewhere. But if it's actually good, i'd try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by maze View Post
    Wanna let me know how that elk101 program is? I heard its basically a bunch of stuff you could get off the internet for free elsewhere. But if it's actually good, i'd try it out.

In my opinion, it’s definitely worth it. Sure you can find pretty much everything on the internet, but with Elk101, it’s all in one place. As far as the elk hunting world goes, Corey Jacobson is probably one of those people worth taking advice from. Instead of going on elk101 and getting an elk hunting university subscription, you are better off checking out “outdoor class”. Subscription is pretty much the same price and the elk hunting university is included plus you get all sorts of other stuff. Mule deer hunting, cooking, etc. You can use promo codes “Randy” “LIVEWILD” or “REMI”. Either one will save you 20%. Link to website. https://www.outdoorclass.com/

I found it super useful, especially about wind directions from morning to night, and strategy based on that. Unless you're a pro, or have a good idea of calling strategy, wind strategy (beyond dont be upwind), then id recommend it for sure. Ya its $100, but thats not even a full tank of gas these days.

For me reading the books I bought, scouring the internet, then quickly but not thoroughly going through most of Elk101 at last minute, nothing compared to being out there and studying first hand, but all these things helped for sure and what they did is made me realize some things and connect dots from first hand observation WAY quicker than I perhaps would have if I may have not read it or heard it before hand.

Like Bullreaper says it puts a lot of info in one place which is pretty important to me, things can get overwhelming fast when I have too many things on the go and so much information to absorb in such little time and have to obtain it from multiple sources. Right now i'm getting into setting up all my own compound bow equipment/maintenance (should have started doing this a long time ago) and it is a lot easier if the info is all in one place.

I would say it is worth it, it is good material for sure and touches on basically everything from basics which you may or may not know not sure how new of a hunter you are, to stuff you probably didn't even think about. I wouldn't take the whole program as gospel and you may not agree with everything, I didn't, and you should hear things from others too, but with that said it is good and if you got 80 or 100 bucks to spare I would recommend it.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 01-13-2023 at 07:51 PM.

Man, sweet after two nights of practice I can already make Cow calls pretty good ones too!

I like the domes for sure, I can already tell though Bugle's are going to be a struggle

Single and double reeds are easier to start off with.
    A single reed is all you need for cow calls, you don’t really need one that is specifically designed that say cow/calf.
    All you need to know is, the different pitch of a cow, one that is in heat or a calf in distress.
    You need to know how to mew vs their short, and I mean short/ quick, here I am or we are over hear reply.

The double reed is probably the easiest for starting to do bull calls.
    Honestly, a single is just too light a rubber for me and I just blow it out, and certainly was never able to get a 3 or 4 octave scale produced that is so generically common when some elk call or better said, some game calls can produce.
    The first note you use basically no tongue pressure, and eventually you use your throat to voice in that raspy low tone note.
    Then just practice achieving a higher note on its own.
    Then the next note above it, again, on its own.
    Then the next note, even higher, on its own.

Once you can achieve each of the notes on its own, then you can roll them all together.
    My opinion, the key to success versus giving up is to achieve each note independently first!!!

I feel those that try to do the whole call all at once tend to struggle longer, and quite often give up.
    Then once you have rolled them ( or better said, stepped them together), you can work on a huge range of combinations.
    From low to high, high to low etc etc.
    And YouTube certainly has a ton of stuff to see the different calls combinations and lip bawling etc.
    And I listen particularly close to real bulls in all the hunting videos out there.

What would anyone suggest for a "smaller" hunter. My daughter said she would like to learn how to bugle. She already has a couple of
    hand held calls for cow calling. Or would we have to buy some calls and just "cut them to fit".
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

Quote Originally Posted by BRrooster View Post
    What would anyone suggest for a "smaller" hunter. My daughter said she would like to learn how to bugle. She already has a couple of
    hand held calls for cow calling. Or would we have to buy some calls and just "cut them to fit".
    I was just at the store and seen one from Phelps called a "mini blue" I think it was and it was small like Kids/Womens small.

Rocky Mountain calls makes one called a "Mini Master", that fits Women and Kids better.

Both of these are Diaphragm calls

I am not a fan of Primos as stated, but they do make diaphragms with the plastic done as well and I find them shaped on the small side, by a long shot compared to Carltons.
    I think they are certainly the right size for junior sized folks.
    The some is not necessary obviously, but I think it’s a big bonus for mouth placement and comfort for someone starting out and helps with the fear factor some folks have that they think they are going to choke on them by accidentally swallowing it while chuckling.

The ones mentioned above might work also, I just don’t have experience with them.

Okay so I officially made some Bugles tonight, however sh!tty some of them may of sounded hahaha. Actually a few sounded like an Elk

This video is by far the best explained I have found for anyone that is also learning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VITaRJNVuyQ