Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk Diaphragms, Tips and Techniques

Elk Diaphragms, Tips and Techniques

Hey guys,

Already looking forward to try my hand at Elk next Sept.

Learnt so much this year and even though I got great advice from here, studied and researched the internet very hard and got proficient with my bugle and cow call, scouted every second weekend sometimes every weekend since May until the opener still felt green stepping into that valley on opener a lot different to me than hunting Deer.

But now with all the time I spent out there during season and the learning and mistakes close calls and call in, I feel like I know where to go when to go how to go about it and feel confident I can get a Bull this next season.

With all that in mind there is one thing I want to focus on this year in addition and that is becoming proficient with diaphragms I feel like it is pretty crucial being able to make nearly any Elk noise with one call, I know there is a lot of content on the web and I will certainly be taking advantage of that, but want to exhaust all my resources and ask my fellow BC sportsmen about tips and techniques for diaphragms? I know some people cut them down etc.

Seems like it is going to be a tough learning curve for me with them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Diaphragms, Tips and Techniques

I have tried many different brands and styles.
    I just prefer hands down the Wayne Carlton tone troughs.
    Maybe because I blow air harder?
    But they hold up for the week.
    And I just prefer the tone it gives.
    And I prefer the 2.5 version (layer).
    I can cover a high pitched note if get down a growl with it and sound like an old bull.
    The trough probably helps beginners or those that feel like they may choke on it or accidentally swallow it!
    I started with the HS series with out the trough.
    I think both companies are somehow together.
    Latex just seems thicker.
    Primos is the worst for me.
    Thin latex, imo.
    I have tried the buglin bulls brands etc, those with a metal frame trough etc.
    Again, they are okay, but I always go back to Carlton’s.

You will most likely have to order them from USA.
    No one here Carrie’s them anymore it seems.
    The yellow ones without the trough are really good as well.
    The plastic trough is just easily positioned in the dome of your upper mouth.
    Imo

buy one of the triple variety packs (Rocky mountain elk calls) from cabelas, cost about $30. That way you can get a feel for a few different styles. They are decent quality for not too much.

Once you're better then maybe try experimenting with expensive ones.

edit: like bugle em in says, the primos ones sucked. Mine fell apart after a few weeks of practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Hey guys,

Already looking forward to try my hand at Elk next Sept.

Learnt so much this year and even though I got great advice from here, studied and researched the internet very hard and got proficient with my bugle and cow call, scouted every second weekend sometimes every weekend since May until the opener still felt green stepping into that valley on opener a lot different to me than hunting Deer.

But now with all the time I spent out there during season and the learning and mistakes close calls and call in, I feel like I know where to go when to go how to go about it and feel confident I can get a Bull this next season.

With all that in mind there is one thing I want to focus on this year in addition and that is becoming proficient with diaphragms I feel like it is pretty crucial being able to make nearly any Elk noise with one call, I know there is a lot of content on the web and I will certainly be taking advantage of that, but want to exhaust all my resources and ask my fellow BC sportsmen about tips and techniques for diaphragms? I know some people cut them down etc.

Seems like it is going to be a tough learning curve for me with them.
    I'm envious of your scouting time lol..

For me, to gain proficiency at the diaphragm calls it is/was all about the practice.. listen to lots of videos and learn the different calls and sounds they make, learn to make a variety of different cow calls and bull calls...also, a key for me was I was pressing too hard at first with my tongue: lighter is key, I found then at that point I was able to direct my blow more effectively in the right area..

Also, confidence is good, run with it but realize it's hunting and anything can happen, it's never a guarantee..last year I harvested a 6x6, this past season I took my hunting partner to the same area to get him a bull (unfortunately neither of us had any time to do pre season scouting of the area), and they weren't there this year, the dynamics with the different weather etc had changed, fortunately we were able to find elk quickly in a different area, but we were 1 tine short of a harvest then we got on what we believe was a legal bull but we couldn't confirm then we both had to leave for work , that's hunting and the way it rolls sometimes..

Cheers man
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 12-30-2022 at 11:17 PM.

I’m a new elk hunter/caller as well. I started with the Rocky Mountain calls, they were ok for me. Then I came across wapiti river outdoors at the BC outdoor show. I found the calls from Wapiti River Outdoors awesome to use. They have many different calls with various styles, latex thickness ect.

My hunting partner doesn’t bugle, just cow calls.
    Anyways, he is a good guy.
    He was at a sporting good store, and thought he would get me some from Ricky Mountain, 4 different ones.
    He realized that they ain’t cheap, and decided I shouldn’t always be paying for them! (So that was thoughtful of him).

I can say the Ricky Mountain are okay.
    Certainly better marketed and easily found in the LM.

I think it’s just a “feel thing” one gets used to.
    My rifles have to have a Monte Carlo comb stock.
    Its just what I grew up with!

I suspect people tend to blow hard, more than they need to.
    Primos latex is just too thin for me.
    Maybe for those that can’t blow hard, they work well.

I know another friend who has hunted elk with me at times but not frequently, started to bugle on hunts when I wasn’t there.
    I heard once, after a couple of years of him doing it, and I could tell he had the ability to be decent at it.
    So I gave him a 2.5 Carlton tone trough.
    Next season he called me up and said he could hear the difference.
    When I heard him, I could certainly tell it upped his calling and the overall sounds he could create.
    They are just not easy to find in a store, so I think that’s why they aren’t mentioned often in threads.

I’ve tried pretty much every brand of diaphragm and Rocky Mountain calls I find work best for me. My hunting partner hates them, he likes the Phelps calls. It can be expensive initially, but try ‘‘em all and figure out what works best for you. I always carry at least 3 diaphragms with me when I’m hunting. I have a light, medium and stiff latex. It’s one thing to be able to make elk sounds, and a totally different game knowing how to speak the language. Educate yourself on what the elk are trying to say, or what their mood is based on the sound they are making. The goal is to toy with the elks emotions, make him horny or get him pissed. Therefore you need to have emotion in your calling, not just blowing air making random elk sounds. Know what sound to make and when. You can use a single diaphragm for pretty much everything and it will work. Personally, I use a light latex for cow chirps and location bugles. When I get a bull fired up and it’s game time, I switch to the heavy latex, then I can either get those really buzzing estrus cow chirps, or my favourite, the deep, growly, f*ck you, I’m the herd bull challenge bugles. I always make sure when I buy my calls I double up, cause I will wear out 3 diaphragms in a season easy. Elk101.com is priceless, probably the best education on everything elk besides getting out there yourself. When you find a diaphragm that works for you, practice, practice, practice. If your wife or neighbours aren’t ready to kill you, your not practicing enough.
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 12-31-2022 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    I’ve tried pretty much every brand of diaphragm and Rocky Mountain calls I find work best for me. My hunting partner hates them, he likes the Phelps calls. It can be expensive initially, but try ‘‘em all and figure out what works best for you. I always carry at least 3 diaphragms with me when I’m hunting. I have a light, medium and stiff latex. It’s one thing to be able to make elk sounds, and a totally different game knowing how to speak the language. Educate yourself on what the elk are trying to say, or what their mood is based on the sound they are making. The goal is to toy with the elks emotions, make him horny or get him pissed. Therefore you need to have emotion in your calling, not just blowing air making random elk sounds. Know what sound to make and when. You can use a single diaphragm for pretty much everything and it will work. Personally, I use a light latex for cow chirps and location bugles. When I get a bull fired up and it’s game time, I switch to the heavy latex, then I can either get those really buzzing estrus cow chirps, or my favourite, the deep, growly, f*ck you, I’m the herd bull challenge bugles. I always make sure when I buy my calls I double up, cause I will wear out 3 diaphragms in a season easy. Elk101.com is priceless, probably the best education on everything elk besides getting out there yourself. When you find a diaphragm that works for you, practice, practice, practice. If your wife or neighbours aren’t ready to kill you, your not practicing enough.
    I agree, I too find getting the emotion into the calls is a huge benefit...lol and you're bang on with getting the family mad and tired of hearing the calls, the wife was starting to lose her $hit last year especially lol..

Yes, you need extras!!
    If you are out, covering lots of ground, thus bugling, they can get pretty soggy after a few days.
    Then you need a new one.
    Plus, they somehow end up falling on the ground and getting lost from time to time!
    Agree, most single reeds can be used as a cow call.
    There are dedicated ones.

And yes, it takes time to figure out what they are saying.
    A bugle with chuckle May mean I am big dog, and I will come for you.
    A chuckle may mean get lost due to having cows.

I recommend those new to it try to imitate the bull.
    If he is coming in, you will know pretty quickly.
    Time of day may influence it as well and what they do.

I also recommend a Montana decoy.
    Depending how you hunt and the area you are in.
    They will quite often hang up once they have direct line of sight to where you should be.
    However sometimes they walk right in anyways.
    Sometimes they are heading towards you and then veer off for no reason and you don’t see them.

It’s never for certain what they will do.
    Ine thing that generally is true, if they have cows, and are still far enough away, they don’t want to leave cows and sometimes just pack up and leave.
    Then on the odd time, if they have their cows stashed away, they may come to get you to back off.

The one thing that is completely true, is once you have bugled with a bull, and have got one to come in, it becomes totally addictive!
    And practice is a must.
    I had to drive 45 minutes to snd from work, and was a great way to practice without driving the household nuts or the dog from continuously howling!

Ricky mountain does make great tubes.
    And I think their mouth call version is probably the best one out there.
    The power bugle (no diaphragm) still works however for many folks.
    It somehow jyst hits a high note that just has a tone all its own.

The big difference between say the power bugle vs mouth call is that you can create all sorts of unique raspy, lip bawling that you can’t get from any other call.
    And chuckling can’t be properly done at all with any other call but a diaphragm.

There is lots of good videos out there.
    I tend to look for pure elk videos and pay attention to what elk do.
    You will soon learn in quick succession have elk can vary from one to the next.
    And is why you don’t need to be perfect.

Diaphragm calls...

Every mouth and pallet is different so certain calls will "fit" your mouth better than others. The other thing to consider is single vs double vs triple membrane.
    Singles and doubles are much easier to learn on. Triples are not the place to start IMO. They take a lot of tongue pressure and will vibrate heavily (tickle the sh*t out of the roof or mouth} as you practice and learn to control it.

The thinner diaphragms are easier to articulate with and control.
    They are much easier to do subtle cow calls and chirps.

Triples are good for bellowing.

Being a product guy having sourced numerous products for my retailers you are always looking for a better mouse trap and inputting for product improvement.

I took a one and one half inch corrogated tubing, cut half the bottom out of a 1.5 liter plastic Coke container, trimmed the top to allow the tubing to be inserted. Hockey taped the sh*t out of it to keep it together and to mitigate any awkward sound of plastic touching brush, your pack etc.

The resonance chamber created by the Coke container is quite something. The sound is quite intense, superior to any commercial tube.
    Great for locating a response or two as it is getting light as the sound carries.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea