I'm out in Ontario visiting the inlaws for Christmas, and an old friend invited me out on a hunt. I've jump shot ponds in the past, but never really been serious about it. He's way serious. A couple sneak boats, lots of decoys, etc. The initial plan was to sit a field for geese, but the farmer didn't get back to him until too late. So we went and dipped boats into lake simcoe, and sat there drinking coffee and bullshitting for a few hours. Only shot a couple of whistlers, but I can definitely see the appeal. Especially being home again for an afternoon nap! Or an evening deer hunt.

Do people hunt like this on the island? Everything I see is such and such estuary, or whatever bay...almost all on the ocean it seems. I see pairs and 3s or 4s of ducks when I'm out hunting, but not the big rafts of em like they had on the lake.

Basically, can someone give me a 100 yard overview of what duck hunting is like on the south island? I gather permission in fields on the peninsula where I live is probably tough!