Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good quality youth pack?

good quality youth pack?

What do you recommend as a good quality youth day pack? Grandson is 6 years old and tall for his age. I'd like to get him something that will last for a few years while he grows and then can be passed down to his sister as she grows.

Thanks
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: good quality youth pack?

Check out “ Hill People Gear “ and the pack to look at is called the Tarahumara.
    Its a best quality made pack ... nice in size and not terribly priced , good people to deal, it’s a nice daypack.

My kids weren’t really big enough to pack too much stuff at 6. I just put them in a really small bag big enough for a small water bottle, a few snacks and a light rain coat. I made small survival kits with them that they all packed around and tied a whistle off to the shoulder strap.

They were 8 or 9 before I got them into a real bag and even at that age the waist belts were too big for them. I have a deuter fox 40 and an osprey ace 50 here if you have any questions about those.

Probably too big for a 6 year old but oddly enough MEC has a really nice youth pack. Reasonably priced too.

my friends bought the osprey ace 50 for their kids. 10 and 12. They hiked the WCT last summer and the packs worked well.

I bought the ace 50 and received it a couple days ago. A touch big for my 10yr as she is smaller. Big on my 8yr (head hitting top of bag).
    I am goingto order the Ace 38 and see how it fits them. Might amazon return the ace 50 and go with the 38.

I think that ace38 ight be a good option for your grandson...
    https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product...-ACE38S20.html

MEC gear is generally crap and the outfit is anti-gun, which we should not support.

The BEST of the pack makers I know of is Seek Outside, and I would call them and ask their advice.

my 8yr old uses a Mystery Ranch In & Out 19 (1100cu in) weighs less than a pound empty. Works good for packing some light stuff like gloves, toque, small water bladder, calls, etc

https://www.mysteryranch.com/in-and-out-pack
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

MR and for many years their predecessor, Dana Design, were my favourite pack makers by far. They went Asian, but, are still pretty good and mused US-made examples are still available on backpacking internet sites.

SO can and will build custom packs and their designs and quality are first class plus they are LIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto1946 View Post
    MR and for many years their predecessor, Dana Design, were my favourite pack makers by far. They went Asian, but, are still pretty good and mused US-made examples are still available on backpacking internet sites.

SO can and will build custom packs and their designs and quality are first class plus they are LIGHT.
    I think you can still buy American made mystery ranch, they just cost more. They were and probably still are supplying the us army with some of their gear and the made in murica thing is usually a pre-requisite to sell to them.

I agree with you about seek outside though. I don’t own one of their packs, but tents are top notch.

Yup, I know that but the real quality is not hugely different from what I have seen. I have owned-used a LOT of gear for close to 70 years and NO company has impressed me as SO does, except Hilleberg.

I would put $$$$ into a kid's pack(s) and boots, LONG before camo clothing and so forth.