Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cow scapula?

Cow scapula?

Anyone know of a place in the Lower Mainland that might have these?

Looking to create a moose call [to simulate a moose scraping on a tree]. Called a few butchers and they tend to not de-bone the cow and the shoulder blade is attached [cut-up] for certain cuts of meat.

Cheers, VFX

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cow scapula?

I have some in my yard I live in kamloops...yes they work well for raking and are light.

Have found a couple of these in the bush in recent years. Honestly, there are other props you can use to simulate a bull rubbing some brush that may be easier to find. Seen guys use little plastic shovels, anything somewhat hard and flat like wood or plastic rubbing against trees and brush should do the trick. Keep your eyes open for bones while you are out and about in the mean time! Good luck.
    Last edited by Codes44; 06-27-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Yup, use the snow shovel trick call in a bull then you'll have your scapula lol
    If your heading down the valley at all try Gords game cutting in chilliwack, I got some there after forgetting to keep from my moose

Bone does make a more realistic sound, but its not hard to fool a bull when he is using his stupid brain.

I have used a piece of plywood about 1/4" x 10" x 20", rectangular, no special carving or 'tines', and it makes a good lunch tray too.

A beef cow scapula has a wicked rib on it that makes a poor handle, but it can be carved off. They have a better blade thickness than a moose scapula too, the leading edge will last longer.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Cool, thanks everyone! -VFX

I made my own and it works awesome and l also use it for Elk also remember it is a sound they hear all the time and another thing to think about is the scapula get very brittle l know first hand and you do not want it to break when your working big barny up

I’m cleaning up a couple scapulas. Was thinking of soaking them in a bit of vinegar and water to get off the last bits of stink off of them.
    what do you guys do to purge the stink?

I gave two moose scapula last fall after posting them on here. I've seen guys with either an empty quart of oil or a plastic mickey with the bottom cut out mounted on a stick. I just use my fiberglass call to scrape as well. They seem to like it.

Edit: Actually found a video about it. https://youtu.be/isq075SmYSo

Find a butcher/ processor that bones out cows . When I say cows I’m talking about Holsteins that are passed their prime milking days and are sent to auction and picked up by processors to bone out for ground beef ! I would think any of the processors in the valley . Johnston Packers for one . Lots of dairy cattle in the valley .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    Anyone know of a place in the Lower Mainland that might have these?

Looking to create a moose call [to simulate a moose scraping on a tree]. Called a few butchers and they tend to not de-bone the cow and the shoulder blade is attached [cut-up] for certain cuts of meat.

Cheers, VFX
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !