Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2007 saskatchewan whitetail

Re: My 2007 saskatchewan whitetail

I wouldnt try that shot but he felt comfortable with it or got caught up in the moment and took the shot, and was able to harvest the deer.I think he already said that he hit it too far back and it probably bothers him,but you have no right to judge his ethics unless you know all the facts,if he made a mistake he will learn from it.I think he travelled a long way for this hunt and saw this monster buck and got excited and tried a very tough shot. There are probably alot of guys that have made bad shots or get buck fever and make a bad mistake,hopefully we all learn from them,but dont come on hear and take away what probably a great hunt for him.And no offense with the azz comment,I didnt mean it literally.

Nice buck chevy! I have seen guys make bad shots in perfect conditions. You felt comfortable taking the shot and you killed that deer. You could of this or you could of that!!! Bottom line-You got yourself a nice trophy . congrats!

This is the type of shooting that is a black mark against all hunters. We have to police our own ranks gentleman and try to do the right thing, every time. If a lesson was learned this time, thats good. If not, and hunters assume these shots should be taken we as hunters are in trouble.

Seriously cant you guys just say good job nice shot instead of always trying to find something new to bitch about seriously,,, this is a hunting thread not a whining thread c'mon guys guess what i got the deer so let it be
    I love venison

Sorry Chevy. Can't do that if i don't agree. Try to clean up your ack in the future. If not for yourself for the rest of us!!

I understand Onesock`s comments but in fairness to Chevy "Prairie Shooting" for deer takes on a different perspective when it comes to distances . Having said that 400 yds moving deer and offhand is a bit of a gamble and lets be frank about this he wounded it with his first shot . The kill area on a deer is three times smaller than the wounding area(approx) and would appear that the wounding rate would also be three fold a kill rate . Is this fair to the animal that we are supposed to admire and respect ???
    I suspect his decision to shoot was in the excitment of the moment and am sure he learned from that and all of us have been there .
    I don`t know of anyone who would be comfortable shooting 400 yds offhand at a moving target . I put money down any day on that one . Someone posted a while ago that he would rather brag about getting close that taking a chansy long shot .

Chevy , glad you had a good hunt and harvested a great buck.
    Last edited by greybark; 12-13-2007 at 10:44 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

First off thanks and second i never wounded him the first shot i only shot him once and he dropped,, And i am also comfortable shooting at that distance off hand if i can hit a 300 yard dong at the rifle range off hand every shot then i think i am confident to do it on a deer which is 10 times the size of a foot round metal dong at 300 yards i do alot of shooting in the off season i mean alot that is all i do,, and shooting in sask isnt easy it isnt like around here where you actually have a chance of getting closer to the animal you want to harvest there is a 95% chance in saskatchewan where you aint gonna get closer to a good buck because most of them you see are 2 to 500 yards away and as soon as you stop you would be lucky to get a shot because the deer is gone like a bat out of hell,, unless you are sitting in a stand or a blind but while i was there the weather was -29 to -37 the whole time so i dont know about you but sitting in a blind or stand when it is that cold out umm aint gonna happen so you just drive around or do a quick bush push through some bushes and get back to the truck heater other than that there is no way it is gonna happen,, i would love to see most guys who say they wouldnt shoot 3 to 400 yards off hand in sask when that big buck of a life time is standing there 300 to 400 yards away,, and tell me you passed him up because you werent comfortable with the shot when that is the only shot you are gonna get chances are you are gonna take the shot!!!!!!!!!!
    I love venison

congrats chevy, good shot

not to hijack your thread, but you said it

Id like to see you hit a 12" diameter gong offhand everyshot at 300 yards offhand and a deer is not ten times as big as a gong...especially not their vitals

good shootin' tex
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Hey Chevy , You posted that sitting in a treestand at minus 26-36 C is not going to happen , Well I just finished hunting WT in the Christen Valley area and it was down to minus 26 C . I am almost 70 years old , have a bad heart , on blood thinners and still managed 5 hrs each day in a treestand , can`t be that tough on a young buck ....
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC