Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Went under water in waders- a lot of work for two snow geese

Re: Went under water in waders- a lot of work for two snow geese

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    OP, glad you are ok and thanks for sharing. You are not the first or last waterfowler that has went in. The tidal area I hunt is full of small channels that can be upwards of 10' deep at high tide and are often impossible to see if you are not familiar with the area.

Last summer, I did test and submerged myself in my neoprene waders without my wading belt. I was actually quite boyant. When I added my pfd, I floated no problem. Next I tried to swim. Reality set in fast. There was no way I could swim far as I weighed a ton with my waders full of water. I became fatigued VERY quickly.

I figured swimming would be a problem so I brought my layout boat kayak paddle with me. I was able to move myself much easier laying on my back with the paddle, but still very difficult. And in if I were in anything less than ideal conditions, wouldn't be doing this to long either. And trying to drag myself out of the water into a boat by myself would be slim. So I now make sure I am very closer to shore when paddling out to my spots.

I speant 25 years in the Navy and we did a pile of sea survival/cold water emersion training. Hypothermia is the enemy!!!
    Interesting immersion experiment. I hunt the Fraser marsh and never wade without my pfd on and one hand on my punt when picking up decoys or birds (Unless I am certain of the ground). I haven't used a wading belt for ages but will start on reading this. I also have a small stainless dive knife in a plastic screw-on sheath on my the opposite wader strap from my shooting shoulder in the event of a situation such as you describe if I need to get out of my waders. I haven't tested this yet, but know getting my feet out of my boots would not be easy so it is the best idea I have seen (stole it from a friend who has hunted there for ~60 years and had more than his share of mishaps).

Glad the OP is alright.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Well from this story and others over the years I think you lower mainland duck-goose hunters are the ((toughest)) in the province. I’ve never really hunted ducks, but there’s no way I’m going out in the conditions you dedicate shot-slingers go out in. I do brave a bit of rain and wind for moose but not too much, guess I’m a wimp. I’ll try to suck it up and do better in the future. Keep em stores coming.
    I've seen videos and read about east coasters who practice body booting which is sitting in the surf as high as they can get to hit diver ducks. So not only are they prepared to get deep in the water, that is actually their strategy! I'm not sure I would want to risk that unless I had a full drysuit on.

Speaking of that my wife reminded me I have a neoprene surfsuit that might have helped during my misadventure. I will dig it up

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I've seen videos and read about east coasters who practice body booting which is sitting in the surf as high as they can get to hit diver ducks. So not only are they prepared to get deep in the water, that is actually their strategy! I'm not sure I would want to risk that unless I had a full drysuit on.

Speaking of that my wife reminded me I have a neoprene surfsuit that might have helped during my misadventure. I will dig it up
    Yup sounds like a good idea. I’ve just put another log in the stove and moved the chair a little closer.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Great write up Silveragent, glad you made it out safe. I've hunted Brunswick on a low tide, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without being able to see those channels during a higher tide. I hunt solo so not hard to imagine miss-stepping and finding yourself in a world of trouble. I'm assuming the wadding belt folks are referring to is the same as a waist belt on waders?

Yea most waders come with a belt that you use to tighten around your waist so that water doesn't just rush right into your legs. I mean it won't totally prevent it but it slows it down I guess