Thread: Find any rabbits on crown?

Find any rabbits on crown?

I want to try and snare rabbits on crown land. Snowshoe hare snaring requires a trapper’s licence-which I’m planning to get in the new year. I don’t want to set snares and illegally kill a snowshoe. What are the physical differences between a snowshoe hare (before it turns white) and a European rabbit? Is anyone seeing rabbits in the bush that aren’t snowshoe hares? I’m inexperienced with this and have heard that the European rabbits are more in the urban developed areas around cities in BC and it is rare to find them in the bush in crown land.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Find any rabbits on crown?

This guy is hilarious. Skins the ears and all. Love the slurping sounds while their eating. Food looks awesome.

Last edited by 180grainer; 12-11-2022 at 12:18 AM.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Europeans are a schedule C animal. Mostly I’ve seen them on the Island in rural areas and the populations can fluctuate a lot with predators which are mostly birds.

Snowshoe hares are abundant in some areas, but can also be up and down in numbers. Find an area rear holds hares and go at it with a .22LR. They can be sneaky, so keep your distance and mind your wind.

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

Have never eaten Rabbit but going to one day ! There’s a couple of guys on YouTube that are in England that hunt them to keep the numbers down on farmers fields , guess they make a heck of mess with their burrows
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Is it safe to say that the schedule c rabbits are found in the bush or would they be snowshoe hares? I snared one the other day but a predator ate it. I was 6km up a mountain just outside of town. Patches of fur were left but I can’t tell if it was a snowshoe or a European. I want to stay lawful. I have pics of the rabbit at night on my game camera but can’t figure out how to resize my pics to post them here for others to help me identify the species of rabbit.

which area of BC would help
    what colour was the fur?
    Hares should be white now
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 12-11-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    which area of BC would help
    what colour was the fur?
    Hares should be white now
    the hair was mostly grey with some white closet to the tips and some a lot of light
    brown. I was thinking maybe the fur hadn’t changed colour yet. I’m in the north thompson area.

I've never seen anything but snowshoe hare in the bush around Kamloops, but might be different where you are. You may be asking for trouble setting snares without having completed the trapping course and just hoping that you don't catch anything but Schedule C wildlife...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Have never eaten Rabbit but going to one day ! There’s a couple of guys on YouTube that are in England that hunt them to keep the numbers down on farmers fields , guess they make a heck of mess with their burrows
    Arctic Lake
    Ill take a snowshoe hare over a grouse any day, they are great table fare.

Those would be hare..havent seen any domestics around kamloops except reserve in chase.keep the hides.. in winter and grind them with onion for best burger of your life.