Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick set up wall tent options?

Re: Quick set up wall tent options?

My older Pioneer 14x16x5 wall tent takes me about 1/2 hour to set up by my self. It has an internal 4 truss frame. More time required to stake it down and tarp it too. I usually add about a 16ft porch out front too. Also have a friend with a 16x22 and that thing takes forever to set up the way he has it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    Interested in this...

Anyone have or set up the Arctic Oven tents? I hear nothing but good (except the cost). The Arctic Oven Igloo looks like it would set up in less than 5mins, just like a regular 3-person tent. FWIW, I have a deluxe wall tent - 12x14 with a porch. Prob 1/2 hour like Ron said. It's awesome for a few days plus, but not practical to set up for a night. Plus it's quite bulky ie too bulky for a quad-in type trip. I was looking at the Arctic oven tents cause setting up would actually make sense by one's self and also for a night or two... or for a quad trip. plus more compact for a fly-in trip. Thoughts?

TJ
    If your camping just for a night or 2 do you really need something with a stove? Just a thought, I get it but it seems like a lot of work for a spike camp when a good bag and clothes would suffice

Not trying to derail this thread but why are you guys tarping your canvas wall tents? I rarely tarp mine, get the stove going and it will melt the snow, the water beads off of it if you treat it with thompson water seal once every few years if you use it a lot...I have a tarp I just dont see the need to use it often unless its really tough wet weather for extended periods
    Last edited by Darksith; 12-07-2022 at 09:43 PM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    If your camping just for a night or 2 do you really need something with a stove? Just a thought, I get it but it seems like a lot of work for a spike camp when a good bag and clothes would suffice
    three reasons:
    1 - when you get totally soaked in a coastal rainstorm or chasing a buck for hours through wet snow, curling up wet in a sleeping bag and waking up the next morning trying to convince yourself that it's worth putting on soaking wet gear, boots, etc and doing it again sometimes is unreasonable (and occasionally unsafe).
    2 - My 11 year old daughter is wanting to join on some trips ie quick ones that don't involve setting up a wall tent for a week at a time. Want the experience to be fun before dad makes it "challenging" if you know what I mean...
    3- going back into a quad-only area with the wall tent, frame and large stove isn't practical - so was looking at options for a smaller, lighter option that could be packed on the quad or in a quad trailer for a few days of late season hunting - again a woodstove would be a pre-requisite...

That's why I was thinking a quick setup with a stove is most certainly desirable in some circumstances... Cheers,
    TJ

So no arctic oven owners/users on here? I know the premium price keeps lots of people away but they sure seem to be the cream of the crop for quality and function….

Anyone have experiences to share?

TJ

My 12x14x5 took about an hour by myself . If I was setting up a family tent it would take me about the same time. What for me was slow was the tight fitting joints of the internal frame I made. A looser lighter aluminum frame would be quicker.

What about a large Tipi and stove?
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I picked up the stone glacier sky dome a couple years ago, paired with a new way propane heater. It’s awesome, easy to set up 3-4 guys on short cots, no diesel or wood smell and it’s absolutely bomb proof.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    What about a large Tipi and stove?
    Ya worth considering for sure…. I just want sure of the number of guy lines required would be a pain, or even restrictive in some cases…

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    Ya worth considering for sure…. I just want sure of the number of guy lines required would be a pain, or even restrictive in some cases…
    Fair enough. Definitely need suitable ground for a non free standing tent like that. Those Arctic Oven tents do look pretty cool. If you want to be able to pack it on a quad I would say that Arctic Tent and a Tipi are your best lighter weight and packable options. The Tipi being far lighter.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I have run the 12 man Kifaru Tipi for going on twenty yrs now, I don't have the liner in it, and the condensation is crazy when the outside temps get low.Sure, I do burn off the moisture with the wood stove in the morning, but it gets old after awhile.
    As much as this tent has served me well over the yrs, getting really tired of the wet showers in the morning.
    My next tent will be the Arctic Oven one.
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye