Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack + frame/Backpacking pup tent

Re: Backpack + frame/Backpacking pup tent

If you want to have a day bag with load shelf to pack out meat and you want the same bag to go for a few nights than I’d go with the stone glacier or kuiu. Ten day expeditions than I’d look at mystery ranch or kifaru.

Be sure to check out the EXO packs. I bought one 4 years ago and don't leave home without it. It's awesome! I use the small (2200?) bag 90% of the time for day hunts and even a quick 1 or 2 nighter. I bought a bigger bag off a member here and it's great for longer trips. None of these are cheap - but I have found the EXO to be very well made and super comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    On the bag.

I use a mystery ranch Marshall with guide lite frame. One thing I’ll say about this bag is it gets more comfortable with the more weight I put in it, up to a limit. but empty it seems to ride high and not very comfortable. It’s designed to pack heavy loads and that’s what it does best. They tend to be on sale quite often too and might be on sale at great west right now.

There’s more but I have to go to work for a brief bit.
    Thanks man! Where is great west?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    but at the end of the day, you don't know until you get weight it in and hit the trail.[/URL]
    That's just it! Why I don't want to buy it online straight from the company.

Right now I usually use a safari sling, good for quick shots but it can be a pain on the shoulder if your on your feet all day

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    For a pack SG all the way. You don't even have to think twice about it, it really is that easy of a decision. Lightest pack on the market. Low profile, but can definitely expand quite a bit (I've got the Sky 5900) and easy to load meat. Definitely the most comfortable I've ever worn and I think you hunt like I do (lots of hiking/walking up and down hills chasing blacktails), you might also appreciate something that's waterproof (or pretty close to it). No brainer

The only backpacking tent I have experience with is a Hilleberg. Very good tents but not the cheapest
    I definitely need waterproof, I see some of those bags to put over your pack. But if they got really good waterproof ones I shouldn't need to make the additional purchase and carry that extra bag to put over pack, but we hunt some pretty brutal rain so idk if the most waterproof packs out there can stand up to Blacktail torrential downpour?

Thanks guys for the replies i'll be looking into all of it!

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Stone Glacier is what I would recommend for a pack, but I don’t have personal experience with MR, Kifaru or Exo but really I think when you get into that class of bag you wouldn’t go wrong with any of them.

For tent I have a Mountain Hardware 3 man tent. Can’t remember the name of it, but it’s discontinued now. I picked it up from a guy on this site brand new never used. You can set it up with just the footprint and fly or you can also use the body. Great tent!

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Thanks man! Where is great west?
    Sorry, great north precision.

I use the MR metcalf , not to big for a day pack, and I can load up and head out for a week -10 days. Super tough I’ve had it since 2018 and beat the hell out of it. Did some gnarly pack outs with mule deer and goat worked great. I’d look at Stone glacier also, that would be my pick if I was going for a new bag for extended hunts.

hilleberg would be your best tent but not the lightest. If your just doing elk and mule deer hunts any of the LW tents would work , Msr, big Agnes , nemo. If you plan on mountain hunting in the northern Rockies I’d grab a hilleberg.