Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail Bow Tactics

Whitetail Bow Tactics

Heading out for WT bow opener (tomorrow hehe) and I am just looking for any up to date info on what the whities are up to. The drought effected deer activity for my usual spots and I am wondering if the WT rut is any later than normal? Prepared for some ground blind sitting with some light calling, but can throw some breeding talk in there to if warranted.

Any insight fellas?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whitetail Bow Tactics

They seem to still be in the rut mode. And dumb as ever. Usually do good right at the end of November. So just hunt them like you would 1-2 weeks ago I’d say. This is northern B.C. and AB Tho

Thanks Rack, we'll be east of the OK valley so I'll post back in a week with what we see.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanonthevedder View Post
    Thanks Rack, we'll be east of the OK valley so I'll post back in a week with what we see.
    In rifle season with shooting opportunities to take deer at 200 yards, we saw exactly zero deer, so during bow season, with shooting opportunities out to say 40 yards, well, best of luck!

This is east Okanagan and West Koots. Of the 15 or so people I know that live here, and hunt pretty hard, I know of one elk taken this season. Everyone else struck out on all species. Not to be a downer, but come this way with lower expectations and hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

We had 5 days in the bush and had to try several different spots before we honed in on the deer. All our opportunities came in the last evening/morning of the trip but none connected. All we can ask for is a chance which we worked for and got but came home empty handed.

Thanks for sharing your story. Too bad you couldn't connect. A lot of trips are like that, it takes a few days or more just to figure out the area. Sounds like if you had a bit more time that maybe you could have got one.

Way she goes sometimes. For the first few days the deer were primarily moving at night, so we were challenged with trying to find the deer without blowing out the spot all together. Our second location had better concentrations of deer, and they started showing up during daylight, but a breath of wind in the wrong direction, and a few other fumbles prevented us getting an animal. Just happy to have had a chance.

Whitetail deer are spooky not as smart as people claim they are overreaction is there defense if you can work it to your advantage you will kill them..

Sit on the right trail with whitetail its all about the right spot all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Whitetail deer are spooky not as smart as people claim they are overreaction is there defense if you can work it to your advantage you will kill them..

Sit on the right trail with whitetail its all about the right spot all the time.
    This.....it should also be noted that it is very feasible to kill them still-hunting...

Climb up a tree on a migration trail and wait!