Thread: Video: kayak hunting among the south arm Fraser islands

Threaded View

Video: kayak hunting among the south arm Fraser islands

A couple weeks ago my buddy and I explored Woodward and Duck islands in our kayaks with guns in hand for the first time. I've paddled around there recreationally but of course once you have dekes and shotguns and other hunting gear it is another matter altogether. I've never kayak hunted before so it was all new to me though I have been on those islands on land after being deposited on the shore by friends' boats.

I put together this video for your pleasure. A definite learning experience.

I learned I needed heavier weights or at least a long line for my decoys as I had to chase them a couple times and as you can see a fellow hunter found them wandering and returned them to me. Also I found it a challenge shooting from a floating platform - also given my inflatable is more susceptible to the current - so I missed some shots because my yak was spinning (also bashing my face because I had a weird angle shot and my stock leaped up on me). Once I was able to rest between reeds I was able to be more stable but still not comfortable enough to turn around in it as I would on land. And as can see by the end of the video, my buddy went into the water and soaked his phone - always a hazard. What isn't in the video is that he also lost his truck keys! This meant we had to rely on our wives to bail us out. I stuck around until my wife was able to pick up his backup keys from HIS wife and deliver it to us at the launch.

Last edited by silveragent; 11-28-2022 at 03:29 PM.

2. Site Sponsor