Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: kayak hunting among the south arm Fraser islands

Hybrid View

Video: kayak hunting among the south arm Fraser islands

A couple weeks ago my buddy and I explored Woodward and Duck islands in our kayaks with guns in hand for the first time. I've paddled around there recreationally but of course once you have dekes and shotguns and other hunting gear it is another matter altogether. I've never kayak hunted before so it was all new to me though I have been on those islands on land after being deposited on the shore by friends' boats.

I put together this video for your pleasure. A definite learning experience.

I learned I needed heavier weights or at least a long line for my decoys as I had to chase them a couple times and as you can see a fellow hunter found them wandering and returned them to me. Also I found it a challenge shooting from a floating platform - also given my inflatable is more susceptible to the current - so I missed some shots because my yak was spinning (also bashing my face because I had a weird angle shot and my stock leaped up on me). Once I was able to rest between reeds I was able to be more stable but still not comfortable enough to turn around in it as I would on land. And as can see by the end of the video, my buddy went into the water and soaked his phone - always a hazard. What isn't in the video is that he also lost his truck keys! This meant we had to rely on our wives to bail us out. I stuck around until my wife was able to pick up his backup keys from HIS wife and deliver it to us at the launch.

Last edited by silveragent; 11-28-2022 at 03:29 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Video: kayak hunting among the south arm Fraser islands

Waterfowl hunting with a self propelled watercraft is a great way to go, particularly if you don't have a hound to retrieve the birds. I generally use my 16' Bob's Special canoe as it's more stable than the shorter one I finished early this year. The Rob Roy is faster, but less able to carry a load & tippier lol. The hull shape is more like a kayak & I use a double paddle in it. Your inflatable looks quite stable, your buddy looks like he's on an armchair in his!

This is the Rob Roy, just under 13'. I put good size decks on it to protect stuff from rain but so far I've only used it for fishing. Reluctant to try & shoot from it.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    A couple weeks ago my buddy and I explored Woodward and Duck islands in our kayaks with guns in hand for the first time. I've paddled around there recreationally but of course once you have dekes and shotguns and other hunting gear it is another matter altogether. I've never kayak hunted before so it was all new to me though I have been on those islands on land after being deposited on the shore by friends' boats.

I put together this video for your pleasure. A definite learning experience.

I learned I needed heavier weights or at least a long line for my decoys as I had to chase them a couple times and as you can see a fellow hunter found them wandering and returned them to me. Also I found it a challenge shooting from a floating platform - also given my inflatable is more susceptible to the current - so I missed some shots because my yak was spinning (also bashing my face because I had a weird angle shot and my stock leaped up on my me). Once I was able to rest between reeds I was able to be more stable but still not comfortable enough to turn around in it as I would on land. And as can see by the end of the video, my buddy went into the water and soaked his phone - always a hazard. What isn't in the video is that he also lost his truck keys! This meant we had to rely on our wives to bail us out. I stuck around until my wife was able to pick up his backup keys from HIS wife and deliver it to us at the launch.

Right on!
    I’ve considered doing exactly this many times, but have always chickened out for fear of being caught in the fast current of a tide change and getting sent out to sea…
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Great Job. Little boats like this make the perfect layout when you are chading the tide.

I have an 11' discovery solo sport canoe kayak hybrid that I do 90% of my tidal waterfowling out of.

Love it!!!!

Mike: love seeing your wood vessels. They look so well made. My inflatable I basically do not worry about flipping. It is very stable and comfortable to be in and has plenty of storage space. I only have the small fear that it will be punctured which is why I will always go out with a partner. I definitely don't want to be caught out on one of those islands waiting for rescue. However, it was designed as a robust angler's kayak so if they feel secure in one I should too.

Livewire: the tide does push mine around quite a bit and paddling against it can be a workout. My buddy with his non-inflatable kayak feels the same way. I feel like eventually I will get a motor for it to assist me on long paddles. In amongst those islands, I feel I am sheltered enough from the wind and current that my main concern is having a still platform for shooting. It's only because of crossing the Fraser and getting back to the launch and being tired out after a long day of hunting that I am considering a motor.

Ron C. : where do you hunt with your kayak? I like that this is opening up a lot of new vista for my hunting.

Im on the Island, cow bay mostly

Silveragent you’re getting out there that’s all that matters. It’s a different style of hunting and it does take some getting used to trying to sit up and shoot. The start of the season I was using the 20 gauge on teal and widgeon and the 20 gauge is a lot easier to swing and more forgiving if you don’t shoulder it correctly and get slapped in the face lol. Now that there seems to be more mallards around I’ve reverted back to taking the 12 gauge along as the birds are a little bit more decoy shy and the shots at a little longer.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Marc, there were definitely so many mallards out there that weekend and also this past weekend when I just sat on the shore at Boundary Bay (though they were shy there. I think 64th St is over-pressured). 20g is something I have considered but my safe is full for now.

Even on land I am used to sitting and swiveling on my bum to shoot but on a bouncing boat with the slight fear I would go into the water I wasn't used to it even though I am assured I could stand on my inflatable and I should be safe.

srthomas75, it is a Shotkam. It makes nice shooting target videos. Unfortunately, it went into the drink last weekend and I think the salt water killed it. Being water resistant is not the same as waterproof apparently. I have it drying out in a bag of rice now but am not getting my hopes up.
    Last edited by silveragent; 11-29-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Hey Silveragent great post. I'm hunting out of a kayak for the first season as well, definitely a challenge and not for everyone. Tides, wind, moving targets, log jams, other hunters, all add up to a wild ride sometimes. In the smaller channels it can be a bit unnerving. Last week paddling through some shallow area's I flushed group of ducks. Before I could raise my gun there were a number of shots by someone else. No issue they got off shots before I did, but they were close enough I could hear the pellets whizz by over head. In a kayak, you sit so low others can't see you and because your mobile, you're more likely to cross paths with others. No real solution but I certainly try to paddle clear of where I hear others are shooting.
    Drybag, ziplocks for phone, watch the tides and wind forecast for sure.
    Not sure if others already use this, but there's an app called Windy (Red square with white W in the middle). Fantastic, wind, tides, rain, temp, swells, etc. Very useful and free.

thanks for posting. what's on the end of the barrel [ besides the sticker]