Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video: kayak hunting among the south arm Fraser islands

Re: Video: kayak hunting among the south arm Fraser islands

^^^^
    Ya, need to be careful for sure.
    In the area I hunt (not sure where you hunt, could very well be completley different)
    I watched a pretty heated exchange last year between a guy in a kayak paddling around very close to shore hugging the pockets jump shooting. He peppered a couple guys that were set up not far from me, pretty much shot right at them from about 70 yards when he jumped a few birds that landed in a pocket behind them.

Some pretty pissed off boys to say the least.

Had a similar experience myself a few years back when I was set up in some tidal creek channels. A guy paddlng a canoe jump shooting blasted at some birds that were just around the corner from me. Luckily his shot crossed in front of me but was a near miss.

Anyhow, this is the reality in my area and why I dont jump shoot here.

Have fun, be safe!!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-29-2022 at 02:49 PM.

It's certainly a challenge on public lands when people are using a variety of methods, decoying, pass-shooting, jump shooting, etc.
    I primarily paddle but try to keep to the smaller channels and shallower water where those with motors aren't going. I'm curious though, as most shots (not all) are 30 degrees or more in angle, by the time the pellets come down to where I am, are we talking some unpleasant pelting or serious injury? Not pleasant either way of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    ^^^^
    Ya, need to be careful for sure.
    In the area I hunt (not sure where you hunt, could very well be completley different)
    I watched a pretty heated exchange last year between a guy in a kayak paddling around very close to shore hugging the pockets jump shooting. He peppered a couple guys that were set up not far from me, pretty much shot right at them from about 70 yards when he jumped a few birds that landed in a pocket behind them.

Some pretty pissed off boys to say the least.

Had a similar experience myself a few years back when I was set up in some tidal creek channels. A guy paddlng a canoe jump shooting blasted at some birds that were just around the corner from me. Luckily his shot crossed in front of me but was a near miss.

Anyhow, this is the reality in my area and why I dont jump shoot here.

Have fun, be safe!!!!
    Ron,

I'm with you on that one, I usually pull the momarsh into the a slit in the cover and set out the decoys.

I've had people pepper my decoys when I lived back east as well as had another guy trying to shoot them with a .22

You want to be well hidden but seen at the same time. We didn't have spinning wing decoys when I was younger, maybe that would have made it easier for others to know they were decoys.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF