Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christening the Creedmoor

Christening the Creedmoor

2 years ago I jumped on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon and picked up a nice one in a Tikka T3x stainless fluted. I spent the next summer working up a couple nice loads for it. One load with 143g Hornady ELD-X shoots 1/3 MOA. I had it out in the field one day last season but didn't see anything freezer legal.

Finally got out to look for a Mulie and took the Creedmoor with me. I'm restricted to road hunting currently until my daughter is able to learn stealth skills. We overslept a bit and didn't have enough time to drive to our regular spot before it got light so we headed somewhere closer instead.

Now, I don't want to say it was a little crowded out there but after running into no less than seven other vehicles on one side road I decided to head somewhere else. Headed into another area a little further south. Got a few grouse for the freezer in route.

Turned down a side road that ran below some farm area that I've seen deer along before. Got about 1km down the road and spotted a doe in the trees just 20 yards off the road I was pointed out the doe to my daughter when I saw movement behind it. At that close range it was easy to see it was a buck, and by the time I was able to exit the vehicle and load the rifle I was clearly able to count four points a side. To my luck the buck was clearly more interested in the doe than me. Rifle loaded I stepped out past the front of the truck, took a knee a leveled the crosshairs in the bucks neck. One squeeze of the trigger and he was on the ground. Some pics, field dressed and in the truck 30 minutes later. A nice 5x5 once you count the brow tines.

I'll put the pics up later.

BDD
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Christening the Creedmoor

An add on to the story. Got the deer hung up at my Sister's place. I heard we were going to get a big dump of snow overnight so I decided to get him skinned that day. However, we not only did we get the big dump of snow that was advertised but the temperature decided to drop quite a bit. So instead of getting him cut up this afternoon I'm going to have to wait a week and make arrangements to thaw out my Deercicle.

Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

Nice buck. Awesome to see your daughter out with you. I’m really hoping my granddaughter will take an interest in the outdoors

Congrats on the buck!! That's a nice 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    An add on to the story. Got the deer hung up at my Sister's place. I heard we were going to get a big dump of snow overnight so I decided to get him skinned that day. However, we not only did we get the big dump of snow that was advertised but the temperature decided to drop quite a bit. So instead of getting him cut up this afternoon I'm going to have to wait a week and make arrangements to thaw out my Deercicle.

Congrats buddy! Your daughter is 10 steps ahead of her generation already by you taking her out with you lol

Oh and almost forgot nice 4 point!!
    Last edited by TheObserver; 11-28-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Rad! I keep hiking into the mountains, I'm doing it wrong, haha. Awesome you took your kid with you.

Great story and pics. Great that you take your daughter with you!

Nice to get one with your daughter along. Congrats.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Nice buck Bigdogdon ! Always good to hear hunting stories that include the kids as they are the ones to follow the lifestyle that we enjoy !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nice buck!